Re: EA8500 keeps dropping connections

[ Edited ]

I will try loading the 1.1.7 firmware and factory reseting the modem and let you know the results.

Expert

I recommend you also use a free Wifi Analyzer app or software to look for outside overlapping wireless SSIDs' on the same wireless channels as yours.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Could you suggest a wifi analyzer app for iPhone?  i've tried a few different ones and none of them give you details about other SSID's.

Expert

I think Net Analyzer will do the trick.

Linksys

Funny how I used the same ssid, key and channel with the netgear and the problem was not there. If it was a channel issue the new wireless router would have the same issue. I live out in the country and there is no one around to have wifi. There is no interference and we do not even have cordless phones. My wifi analizer only shows my 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks. The problem is with the firmware update and linksys does not care enough about their customers to fix it. Have they looked into the client devices to see if their new firmware started some kind of incompatibility issue? I had issues with devices using intel 8260 devices after the update but not before.

Expert

xadonxander wrote:

Funny how I used the same ssid, key and channel with the netgear and the problem was not there. If it was a channel issue the new wireless router would have the same issue. I live out in the country and there is no one around to have wifi. There is no interference and we do not even have cordless phones. My wifi analizer only shows my 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks. The problem is with the firmware update and linksys does not care enough about their customers to fix it. Have they looked into the client devices to see if their new firmware started some kind of incompatibility issue? I had issues with devices using intel 8260 devices after the update but not before.

I hope it's not a firmware issue but if it is I will report it to Linksys engineering but we have to troubleshoot the issue before I can.

For 2.4Ghz channels I recommend 3 or 11 and for 5Ghz 36 or 149 and wireless security of WPA2 Personal.

Linksys
Expert

I have three EA8500 running at different customer locations without any issue on firmware version 1.1.5.178908.

I do have a copy of this firmware I can provide for you if we can't get this sorted out.

Due to the amount of changes in this particular firmware update I will need you to reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch.

Linksys

I already talked to the engineers directly. I was told they had numerous complaints with the firmware on this router and were just RMAing the ones with issues. They could not figure it out or wasn't worth their time. It was not an issue with channels. I wish everyone here would quit blaming the channels and spreading false information. While playing with the settings may help a little it does not fix the problem. Why would it work perfectly before the upgrade and not after using all the same configuration. I did completely reset the router and configure from scratch but it still did not work. I downgraded the firmware and it did help but I still had issues with the wifi dropping. The signal never drops and the client stays connected but no one is home for a few minutes and then it starts working again. I have no issues out of my old linksys or my new netgear x10. Roll the dice with an RMA, replace it or live with it. I asked if they could switch the model for one without this issue and was told no. Linksys does not care about anything but $$$.

Expert

xadonxander wrote:

It was not an issue with channels.

In your case sure but not everyones.

Linksys
Expert

xadonxander wrote:

I did completely reset the router and configure from scratch but it still did not work.

Thanks this is good information.

Linksys