Expert

Re: EA8500 keeps dropping connections

xadonxander wrote:

Why would it work perfectly before the upgrade and not after using all the same configuration.

Incompatibility of settings between firmware versions. I seen this many times before with different router, AP and Extender models.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert

xadonxander wrote:

Roll the dice with an RMA

If the router is defective then this is the solution. Linksys provides an excellent hardware warranty and RMA process.

Linksys
Expert

[ Edited ]

xadonxander wrote:

Linksys does not care about anything but $$$.

Providing excellent hardware warranties and RMA process is costly to Linksys so I think they care.

Linksys

Well 2 of the RMA routers I received had the same issue when the firmware was updated. That is why I asked if they would replace it with something else. I paid for shipping all 3 times to return the router. They even billed me for almost $400 on my credit card because one of the units were backordered and took longer than 30 days for me to receive it. It took almost 2 months to have my money returned and I had to threaten a lawsuit to get it back. After that I put the 3rd one i received on ebay. I was told that if I wanted to try a different model I could pick it up at best buy or something. By making me pay return shipping and not fixing the issue they proved they did not care. What is the point of a warranty or RMA process if they don't fix the real (firmware) problem? I understand you get paid to support linksys but they failed me.

Expert

xadonxander wrote:

Well 2 of the RMA routers I received had the same issue when the firmware was updated. That is why I asked if they would replace it with something else. I paid for shipping all 3 times to return the router. They even billed me for almost $400 on my credit card because one of the units were backordered and took longer than 30 days for me to receive it. It took almost 2 months to have my money returned and I had to threaten a lawsuit to get it back. After that I put the 3rd one i received on ebay. I was told that if I wanted to try a different model I could pick it up at best buy or something. By making me pay return shipping and not fixing the issue they proved they did not care. What is the point of a warranty or RMA process if they don't fix the real (firmware) problem? I understand you get paid to support linksys but they failed me.

I'm sorry to hear of your RMA experience.

I know of may others where the RMA process has been much smoother though.

I'm going to wait for the other user in this thread to report his findings before I report this to Linksys engineering.

Linksys

Has there been any headway on this? My router is doing the exact same things. Drops internet connection. I have to restart the router for internet to pick back up. Getting to be very annoying.

Expert

Rubix45 wrote:

Has there been any headway on this? My router is doing the exact same things. Drops internet connection. I have to restart the router for internet to pick back up. Getting to be very annoying.

Are you running the latest firmware?

Linksys

When I checked last night for an update it told me it was on the latest.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Rubix45 wrote:

When I checked last night for an update it told me it was on the latest.

Great, then try my recommendations below:

I recommend you use a free Wifi Analyzer app to make sure the wireless router isn't broadcasting the same 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels as any other router or AP.

Which channel you use is important. For 5Ghz I recommend 36 and 149, these should work in any country. For 2.4Ghz channels 1,3,6 or 11.

For routers that support setting "AC Only" and "80Mhz" those are the fastest settings.

Keep in mind if a slower protocol client connects (b\g protocols) it will cause all clients to drop to that speed while its connect.

Antenna orientation is important. Most router antennas are horizontally polarized so the antennas must be in a straight up or down position. If they were laid flat horizontal you effectively create a beam like radio form that is perpendicular to the direction the antenna is pointing in.

Below are some of my standard Smart Wifi firmware recommendations:

Optimal settings:

1. Enable Media Prioritization with Downstream Bandwidth set to ISP maximum download speed in mbps * 1024 for kbps
  2. Enable WMM Support (Default)
  3. Wireless 5Ghz Protocol Mixed
  4. Wireless 5Ghz Channel Width Auto
  5. Wireless 5Ghz Channel 36
  6. Wireless 2.4 Protocol "g\n Only" or "N Only"
  7. Wireless 2.4Ghz Channel Width Auto
  8. Wireless 2.4Ghz Channel 6
  9. Both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz Wireless Security "WPA2 Personal" not mixed

The trick is that MP needs to be correctly configured once and then enabled and disabled. After that you can decide if MP is needed. This initializes the QOS system properly.

Linksys

I will give this a try.