EA8500 keeps dropping connections

I have purchased EA8500 which I thought was a good router, but to my disappointment I discovered that after a firmware update the router keeps droopping connnections. 

I have tried every firmware that came after the factory firmware (even the latest one released only in February 2017) but nothhing. The router keeps dropping connections no matter what. 

I have now rolled back to 1.1.4.173728 hoping that this will be stable. This is the oldest firmware I could find. 

Linksys get your act together please and fix this issue. It is not possible that so many people have the same issue and you only give advise about whhere to place the router or other vague answers. 

For anyone who think of purchasing the router, do yourself a favour and choose something else! 

Expert

Re: EA8500 keeps dropping connections

I know of users that have no problems with the EA8500.

By keep dropping connections do you mean wireless device drop off the network or you loss Internet connectivity?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Expert

Try the below setting first to see it that resolves the issue.

Below are some of my standard Smart Wifi firmware recommendations:

Optimal settings:

1. Enable Media Prioritization with Downstream Bandwidth set to ISP maximum download speed in mbps * 1024 for kbps
  2. Enable WMM Support (Default)
  3. Wireless 5Ghz Protocol Mixed
  4. Wireless 5Ghz Channel Width Auto
  5. Wireless 2.4 Protocol "g\n Only" or "N Only"
  6. Wireless 2.4Ghz Channel Width Auto
  7. Both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz Wireless Security "WPA2 Personal" not mixed

The trick is that MP needs to be correctly configured once and then enabled and disabled. After that you can decide if MP is needed. This initializes the QOS system properly.

Linksys

Hello Chadster,

Thank you for the above. I will try it out. If everything is fine I will then apply the firmware update  to see if that works as wel.

arisaris

Expert

[ Edited ]

I recommend you load the latest firmware, then reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch instead of testing the settings with older firmware.

Linksys

I tried the media prioritization and it did not work.

The real solution is to downgrade the firmware to 1.1.4.173728. Click troubleshooting, Diagnostics, and restore previous firmware.

It solved all the issues for me. I spent 2 hours on the phone with linksys and they just said they would RMA the router instead of fixing the problem or even notifying higher tech support of the issue.

[ Edited ]

Those users must have auto update disabled. I have disabled auto update and it works after I downgraded the firmware to 1.1.4.173728. Seems to be something in the firmware that resets the socket on certain sites or servers. It kept disconnecting me every few seconds from my synology server. Plex would only stream a few seconds before stopping saying connection was reset. My banks website would log me out and make me sign in every 10 seconds or so. I did notice it happened on wifi connections more than ethernet.

Expert

Thanks for the update. I will continue to monitor this thread.

Linksys

Hello all, 

I have been testing the setup provided by chadster two days ago. The situation has been beetr but I still experienced 2-3 drops in the connection. For example, this morning the music streaming randomly stopped for around 10 seconds and then starte again. 

Unfortunately I will also try and revert to the stable firmware since none of the updates offered by Linksys worked. 

Can this thread be pushed for finally fixing the firmware? This is an expensivbe router and it is a pity to have such a fault.