03-05-2018 01:00 PM
Got a new EA9300 Tri-Band router this past weekend. I disabled band steering during the setup and decided to have 3 separate WLANs: 2.4Ghz, 5.0Ghz 1 and 5.0Ghz 2. Each having its own SSID and password. I tested the router by connecting a total of 23 clients to it and streaming HD content on each device, all at the same same. I was very happy to not notice any buffering or lagging on any of the devices. Total devices: 4 iPhones, 3 Amazon FireHD tablets, 4 HP Laptops, 2 HP Desktops, 2 Roku TVs, 3 Apple TVs, 2 Amazon Fire TV Sticks, Amazon Echo (streaming musci), Xbox 360 and Xbox One (both connected to Xbox Live playing online game). This was my way of testing the router in a scenario where every WiFi device in the house was on and connected at the same time. This was around 4pm on Saturday.
Later on in the evening I made a change to the DHCP client lease time. I changed it form the deafult 1440 minutes (24 Hrs) to 10,080 minutes (7 days). The router rebooted as it normally does after making certain changes to the settings. Once it came back up, all three bands were visible client side as available WiFi networks, but could only connect to the 2.4Ghz band. None of the devices originally connected to the 5.0Ghz bands wouldn't connect. I contaccted support and they had me change some settings around: removing WPA2, disabling Media Prioritization, disabling IPv6, and then power cyling my modem and the router. Removing the password from the 5.0Ghz networks and making them Open allowed devices to connect again, but I don't want them open for anybody to connect to them. So the changes recommened by the support tech didnt fix my original problem.
I ended up doing a factory reset on the router and started from scratch. This fixed the issue and the devices originally assigned to the two 5.0Ghz bands were able to connect again. I don't see how changing the lease time on the DHCP could cause the 5.0Ghz bands to stop allowing devices to connect to them. The 2.4Ghz band was never affected and worked fine the whole time.
Anybody experience this issue where the 5.0Ghz bands on a Tri-Band router stopped functioning altogether?
03-06-2018 01:33 AM
@Techie19 Changing the client lease time shouldn't affect the connectivity. If you want the devices to have a fixed IP address every time it connects to the network, we suggest that you use the DHCP reservation instead. Also, if you agree, we can have our escalation engineers perform a further diagnosis of this issue. Let us know how you want to proceed so we can file a ticket for you in our system.
03-06-2018 05:49 AM
This is what I assumed as well. Client lease time shouldnt have any effect on the connectivity of the 5Ghz bands. The main reason I was changing the lease time from the default 24 hrs to 7 days is because there's not many new clinets being introduced to the network. Aside from guests visiting a few times a month. And for that they will be connecting to the guest network.
I already had a ticket for this and as I originally mentioned, the steps followed to correct this issue did not help in fixing the problem. The only thing that helped was doing a factory reset on the router and starting from scratch.
Would of never expected having to do a reset on a brand new out of the box router on day 1. Has never happened to me before. I've owned , Belkin, Netgear, and Tenda routers in the past and never experienced an issue like this. Hopefully I wont be having any other issues or back to Amazon it goes.
03-07-2018 05:54 AM
I got home from work yesterday evening to find that none of the devices I had assigned to the second 5GHz band were connected. I couldn't believe this happened again in less than two days. I did some troubleshooting and found that with security mode set to none, I was able to connect to the problematic band. If I set security back to WPA2, devices would again not be able to connect.
This differs from the original problem on Sunday where none of the two 5GHz were working. I did a factory reset and they started working again. So for the rest of Sunday and all of Monday everything was working fine until yesterday. The 2.4GHz band was never affected. I contacted Linksys support and we went over the original issue and yesterday's second issue. I explained to them everything I had already tried and they pretty much agreed that the device seems to be faulty. Was told I could return it for a replacement but I will instead be returning it to Amazon which is where I purchased it from.
After this experience I will not be purchasing another Linksys product. I am realistic and can see how maybe this problem could be an isolated incident with my router only, but I honestly don't want to take the chance. After having to setup my WLAN twice already with 23 devices to configure each time, it't times consuming and aggravating. I decided to go with a TP-Link Archer C5400 Tri-band MU-MIMO. I get it Tomorrow so I am hoping I have a better experience with that one.