EA9500 Stuck in Reboot

I have an EA9500 v1.1 that is unable to connect to the internet. It seems to be stuck in a reboot cycle with the blue light during start up and then clears out and repeats. Things I've tried: Logging in via ethernet cable directly to access setup page (does not get that far before it starts over), reset button procedure (same outcome), unplugging (same), Smartwifi app access (same). I've used a back up router to sucessfully connect to the internet. I have the auto-firmware update on. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Thanks

Expert

Re: EA9500 Stuck in Reboot

You can try a reset to factory defaults by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds.

Make sure the Internet Port is connected to the ISP Modem and that you are connected via Ethernet cable for initial setup.

If that doesn't work warranty RMA the EA9500 at store of purchase.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

I've had two of these routers now and they both have the same problem. I don't think it is just a faulty unit given both have the same problem. This problem started when there was a cable outage. The router started this reboot cycle and never stopped even after cable was restored. 

This is very frustrating to spend $300+ on a router only to have this issue twice now. I think Linksys needs to spend some energy to really debug this issue rather than sweep it under the rug.

Expert

Is the ISP coax cable grounded where it comes into your location?

Linksys

Hi, yes. I had the xfinity guy come out twice and check for problems. Internet works fine when I use a backup router. 

Expert

Do you have a multimeter to check the power supply voltage?

Linksys

No I don't. But what are the chances that two power supplies shipped with two different routers are bad? Or are you suspecting droop on the AC causing it? Actually can you state what you suspect?

Expert

I'm thinking it could the AC supply, DC power supply or a voltage spikes from the coax cable side through the modem.

Can you connect to the EA9500 WebUI to configure?

Linksys
Expert

Check to see if the EA9500 reset button is stuck.

Linksys

[ Edited ]

OK, more data...

1) I have to EA9500 routers in my posession and both do the same thing. Both worked for some time and then started automatically rebooting after an internet outage.

2) I connected the routers to different AC outlets and configurations of connecting both directly to a cable modem others connecting through another router. I tdidn't change the behavior. 

3) I was able to factory reset then by timing my push of the reset button perfectly.

4) After I connected to the internet and reconfigured the router I got to the step where it asked me to log into my linksyssmartwifi account. At that point the router went back into the reboot loop.

5) I found that if I simply connect the router to the internet but don't connect any devices (wired or wifi) it seems to be stable. The second I try to connect a device, the reboot cycles start.

This is a very frustrating problem. I thought I had a defecetive router which is why I bought a 2nd with plans to return the 1st. Since both of the routers have the issue I beleive there is a bug somewhere. I hope linksys can debug this issue because I have 2 bricks that cost $300 in my posession.