Is it possible to setup WRT32X as access point?

Mjello

I haven't really been able to fin anything on the subject, and as far as i can see, it's not a standard feature in the WRT32X

I have a modem / router set up to handle dhcp and wireless in one room, then i've made a long CAT6 cable to where i want my WRT32X to be (yes, it's tested, and it's working just fine). 

I want my modem/router combo to run the dhcp side of things, and i just want the WRT32X to be an AP / switch, but i can't seem to find a way to do it. Right now, i'm basically doing a nat44 / cloud nat / double nat on myself that way. If i hop on the internet through the WRT32X i'm completely unable to reach my server when i'm not home cause i basically have 2 internal IP's.

Any way to fix this? 

//KeyboardHero

Re: Is it possible to setup WRT32X as access point?

Hi, KeyboardHero. The linksys WRT32X can only work as a router. It cannot be setup into an access point. The only way you can do is to set that up into a regular router by disabling the router feature of the gateway (modem/router).

Nestor_C 21974
Linksys Technical Support

Is this the same for the WRT3200ACM?

I have an EA9200 that I spent many hours trying to figure out how to correctly set up as an Access Point, while using my ISP provided router as my main DHCP server.

After much research, I ended up cascading my 9200 via LAN to LAN, I disabled the DHCP server from the 9200 and changed the IP address to 1 digit after my main router (my main router's IP is 192.168.0.1, so I set up the ea9200 as 192.168.0.2).

I plugged in my ethernet cable into the Lan port of the 9200 and it's working fine (over a month). I set up the SSID as the exact same as my ISP router, set the WiFi channels as far apart as I could and so far - so good.  I have some devices connected to my ISP router, and some devices connected to the 9200, and ALL devices can see/talk to ALL devices.

Are you saying that this type of set up cannot be done on a 32X?  I also have a 3200ACM, but its with a family member now, but I will be getting it back in a while and I was planning on configuring it the same way and also using that as an access point....  Will be VERY bummed if it cannot be done.

WRT3200ACM w/High Gain Antenna's,
ISP Modem: CODA-4582, 1000/30 Package, EA9200 (retired)
Expert

@wrote:

I have an EA9200 that I spent many hours trying to figure out how to correctly set up as an Access Point, while using my ISP provided router as my main DHCP server.

No they are not the same firmwares at all.

The WRT3200 and the EA9200 with the Linksys SmartWifi firmware is very easy to configure as an access point. Just change you Internet Settings to Bridge Mode and only connect it's WAN\Internet port to the upstream network. 

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert

To change the WRT32x to an access point configuration you will need to SSH into the WRT32x using Putty for PC and Terminal SSH command for Mac. Then change the WRT32x configuration manually:

#Update optional packages and install nano; nano should be used instead of vim for editing text files if you don't know vim
opkg update
opkg install nano

#Comment out IPv6 DHCP-PD config "option ip6assign '60'" with "#option ip6assign '60'" and change the LAN IP Address to something on the main network but that is outside the main router's DHCP range
vim /etc/config/network

#Example /etc/config/network lan section
config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.11'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
#       option ip6assign '60'

#Comment out the router dhcp server sections
vim /etc/config/dhcp

#Example /etc/config/dhcp lan and odhcpd (dhcp server) sections
#config dhcp 'lan'
#       option interface 'lan'
#       option start '100'
#       option leasetime '12h'
#       option limit '154'
#       option dhcpv6 'server'
#       option ra 'server'
#       option ra_lifetime '1800'

#config odhcpd 'odhcpd'
#       option maindhcp '0'
#       option leasefile '/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
#       option leasetrigger '/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'

#Reboot router
reboot

After the reboot only have one of the LAN ports connected to the main network.

Linksys

@wrote:

wrote:

No they are not the same firmwares at all.

The WRT3200 and the EA9200 with the Linksys SmartWifi firmware is very easy to configure as an access point. Just change you Internet Settings to Bridge Mode and only connect it's WAN\Internet port to the upstream network. 

My previous router - Linksys EA3500 was connected in this fashion, by changing the setitng to "Bridge Mode", and connecting an ethernet cable from my main router's LAN port to the EA3500's WAN port, and although everything connected, it essentially gave me 2 different networks!  Devices connected to my EA3500 could NOT see/talk to devices connected to my main router!  Not only that, many of the extra features were disabled, such as the USB port.

With my current set up that I listed above (cascaded from LAN to LAN) its like 1 big giant network.  I even have an external hard drive currently connected to the USB port of the EA9200, and i can acces/read/write to it from any device.

The "bridge mode" setup has its purposes, but was not want I wanted.  I played around with the EA9200 for a while - and asked A LOT of questions here in the forum, and was told this was the better/right way to do it, and not to use bridge mode.

Although I can understand and appreciate that the 2 devices (and other devices) will have different firmwares, I am quite surprised that the 3200 and 32X do not have an easy way to configure as I have my EA9200.  The instructions given in the previous post seem very difficult to newbies.... 

Expert

@wrote:
My previous router - Linksys EA3500 was connected in this fashion, by changing the setitng to "Bridge Mode", and connecting an ethernet cable from my main router's LAN port to the EA3500's WAN port, and although everything connected, it essentially gave me 2 different networks!  Devices connected to my EA3500 could NOT see/talk to devices connected to my main router!  Not only that, many of the extra features were disabled, such as the USB port.

The EA3500 is a first generation SmartWifi router. I'm wondering if there was an issue with it's bridge mode. The newer models bridge mode should perform better but I have seen where some multicast communications don't work well with bridge mode. Bridge mode does make for one network as well because all devices are on the same IP Subnet.

I used to recommend LAN to LAN cascading all the time but once some Linksys SmartWifi routers had issues with their DHCP Server being disabled I decided to always recommend bridge mode first. Usually when you disable the DHCP Server which is required for LAN to LAN cascade you loose most of the extra functionality anyway since those features depend on the DHCP Server service.

Linksys

[ Edited ]

wrote: 

The EA3500 is a first generation SmartWifi router. I'm wondering if there was an issue with it's bridge mode. The newer models bridge mode should perform better but I have seen where some multicast communications don't work well with bridge mode. Bridge mode does make for one network as well because all devices are on the same IP Subnet.

I used to recommend LAN to LAN cascading all the time but once some Linksys SmartWifi routers had issues with their DHCP Server being disabled I decided to always recommend bridge mode first. Usually when you disable the DHCP Server which is required for LAN to LAN cascade you loose most of the extra functionality anyway since those features depend on the DHCP Server service.

This is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I experienced when setting up my 2 routers.  The only thing I can recall with the EA3500 was there was a button within the gui to choose Bridge Mode - very easy to find, very easy to select. After a firmware update, it no longer was just a button, you now how to go into the connection settings, and find it... either way.

But when I had bridge mode selected, I couldn't set up a home group, I couldn't get access to anything connected to the 3500, however Internet service worked GREAT.  Now that I have Lan to Lan, and I disabled the DHCP server from the 9200, everything is working the way I originally wanted it.

I selected "bridge mode" also on the 9200 when setting it up and testing, and Bridge Mode DISABLES many of the features... it gives you a very short list of functions within the main menu - No Network Map, No USB connection, and many more things missing... and thats with the newest firmware.  Lan to Lan gives you back all those options.

Because the "bridge mode" was super simple to select, and I didn't know as much as I know now (which still isn't much! Smiley Happy ) that was what I chose, and I just lived with it.  

Theres another post somewhere in here where I was asking you experts on how to set it up, and the link provided to me was cascaded Lan to Lan.

Are you saying thats not the optimal way of doing things?

And I think I read one of your posts incorrectly, did you say the Access Point set up is not available on the 32X, but IS available on the 3200?

Expert

@wrote:

Are you saying thats not the optimal way of doing things?

And I think I read one of your posts incorrectly, did you say the Access Point set up is not available on the 32X, but IS available on the 3200?

LAN to LAN isn't optimal anymore with newer version of Linksys SmartWifi firmware. AFAIK disabling the DHCP Server should disable all the same features that Bridge mode does.

The WRT3200ACM with stock firmware has a Bridge Mode Internet Setting.

The WRT32x has to be configured manually for an AP mode using the SSH console.

Linksys

LAN to LAN isn't optimal anymore with newer version of Linksys SmartWifi firmware. AFAIK disabling the DHCP Server should disable all the same features that Bridge mode does.

The WRT3200ACM with stock firmware has a Bridge Mode Internet Setting.

The WRT32x has to be configured manually for an AP mode using the SSH console.

Thanks for the info Chadster.  Just to further clairify, I can leave the router (9200, 3200ACM, newer router w/Smart Wifi) as a router, but just disable the DHCP server, and that will essentially work the same as bridge mode, allowing me to create 1 large network with everything being able to talk to everything?  I'm assuming this setup would be Lan to Wan... would I need to change the IP address of the AP router?