Linksys EA9200 Keeps Droping Connection On Wireless Devices

Hello. I have a Linksys EA9200 Smart WI-FI router. I am having some problems with this smart router. All of my wireless devices mostly inculdeing my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge plus seems to happen with the S6 active the most. This also seems to happening with a IPhone 6S. All of these devices have beem connected to a NetGear router and they worked fine for a week with no droped connection at all. To fix the problem on all of these devices the process is the same. I have to turn the wifi off, and then turn the wifi back on after 10 senconds. A Reboot has not fixed the problem. I have also restored my Comcast Modem to its default settings and the problem is still happening. Bridge Mode is enabled on the Comcast modem as well. I can confirm the problem is not with the Modem because all of my devices that are connected via Ethernet to the EA9200 do not ever losse connection. This is very annoying as laptops, phones,tablets also losse connection. Watching YouTube, and about every 20 mins connection lost. Turned wifi off then on, Back online. The speed of the Linksys is also not as fast at times. Wifi is going in and out. The link speed is sometimes less than the Comcast Modem. I am about ready to get rid of the linksys but i do not want to as with ATT UVERSE i never had problems like this. Can someone please help me? I have been dealing with this dropping for months. I did a factory reset as well as before checked for a update to the firmware and their was none. Some devices have dropped once or twice, but not as much. I hope the Reset fixed this problem. In case it does not, is their any thing else i can try to do? I really do not want to live chat or call linksys. Thanks. 

Re: Linksys EA9200 Keeps Droping Connection On Wireless Devices

Good luck, I called them but they said I had waited to long and it would cost me to get help with no guarantee that they could fix it . But if I give them $40 and they can't fix it they will credit me $15 to buy another one. Why would I want to buy another one.

Expert

Hi, CoolChristianComputerExpert. We suggest that you set a fixed wireless channel to your network. You may have it on channel 1, 6 or 11 for the 2.4 GHz network and channel 36, 40, 44 and 48 for the 5 GHz network. Once done, we'll let you observe the connection. If it shows the same behavior, please perform the following steps:

• Download the firmware.
  • Reflash the router's firmware.
  • Reset and reconfigure the router. By the way, once you reset the router, all the settings and configurations that have been previously saved on your router will be removed. 

Update this thread for any results.

Kristine_14845
Linksys Technical Support
Expert

Hi, Tbone4571. We would like to check the history of your case. Please send us your case number or your contact details at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can investigate what happened. Kindly include your community username and the link to this thread.

Kristine_14845
Linksys Technical Support

I also have the same problem. After doing all you recommend and having replaced the router as per your recommendation ( and paid for shipping), I need to turn off and on every 2 days. Extremely disappointed with linksys which I have used for almost 20 years.

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone! I see that the latest post is from 4/2017, so I will go ahead and update with what I've done and the fact that I am still seeing the problem. I also have a possible solution that I will explain and try tonight.

So I purchased my ea9200 from Sams Club thinking I was doing myself a favor, wrong. The EA9200 (even after performing all steps mentioned by Kristine_J) reboots constantly. The only way I have found a work around (that is most stable), is by disabling 1 of the 5ghz antennas, and turning off the "smart steer" or band steer capability and dedicating 1 antenna to 2.4 G only and the other to 5ghz mixed mode.

Now, some background, I have a mixture of g, n, and ac devices at home. The majority of the time my router reboots, is when the g device is connected with smart steer on and both 5ghz antennas are on.

Again, this does not happen when I dedicate 1 antenna for "G Only" mode and the other for "Mixed".

I have heard by a collegue with the same router that setting the router to "bridged" mode will resolve this issue. However, it only complicates things, and my Iphone 7s + would not even connect to the router, and because of the firewall settings on my comcast gateway, could not connect to the Linksys to change it back or turn on DHCP (which I dont think you can do if the router is set to "bridge". So of course I had to do a manual reset to factory.

Even if setting the router to "bridged" mode, I would not want my endpoints sitting on a DMZ with no NAT.

Now, if youre able to contact someone from comcast, to test mutliple scenarios with the gateway (I have a cisco gateway with no voice or wifi) that would be your best bet, that is, if you actually get a knowledgeable technical solutions rep (there's no such thing at comcast).

My recommendation: If you have "G Band" only devices in your home, connected to your network follow the steps above.

Another Recommendation: I have not tested this theory of mine (yet)--Remove the "G" only devices or replace them with "N" or AC devices (I have a father in law that I just purchased a new netgear AC 1200 wireless USB dongle for this purpose) and using the N and AC and disabling 2.4, or leaving 2.4 on and setting it to mixed (depends on your desired configuration/situation).

Please give these steps a try and reply back or give a thumbs up if it works. Good luck!

I spent all night comparing Netgear, D-Link and Linksys Routers and the Linksys EA8200 looked great as far as processor speed, Antennas and the Hardware is just great but the interface with this smart connect, the not allowing Static IP addresses unless it's in the DHCP Range, the interface which does not display properly on Firefox, just ruins this EA9200 Router. Not to mention that as soon as I connected my iPhone and IPad they both keep disconnecting from the WI-FI. I had problems with my Smart TV's disconnecting from the WiFi before with my NetGear but did not have any issues with any other devices disconnecting from the WiFi.

All this nonsense from the Linksys employees about checking the Firmware resetting the Router and the rest is just plain Non-Sense. Of course most of us have done all the basic things. (I updated the Firmware the minute I plugged it in).From what I read in this forum, some have pretty advanced networking knowledge. You shouldn't have to do acrobatics and "workarounds" with so so many issues with the Linksys interface. It's insane. You should just be able to plug in your router to any computer and configure it without any fancy Smart Connect Portal. I especially love the Linksys employee suggestion to "Just Simply Reset your Router" - like it was that simple after entering passwords with tv remotes and other remotes only to keep getting disconnected from the router. I even reserved the DHCP addresses and the set then as static IP's on the iPhone and iPad, turned off Smart Connect Band Steering all to no avail. I only have had this EA9200 for one day and it's going back to the store. I shouldn't have to go to all that hassle to get my mobile devices to see the router from 6 feet away. Even when I'm driving my Phone keeps picking up tons of routers to connect to but it cant connect to the one at home? I'm plugging in my old Netgear Router. Even though its only an AC1200 it had better range and connectivity. Other desperate Linksys users are even flashing Linksys Routers back to old Firmware to solve many of these issues. http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Go-back-to-old-firmware/td-p/536100

Lazio, thank you, finally someone stating it clear. For the price paid for this router, one should not need any workaround, any special config for devices to connect properly and stay connected. Linksys should simply accept EA9200 is a fiasco and do a recall. On my side, I did not have the chance to return it to the shop as I trusted Linksys Helpdesk which told me that a replacement was all I needed. Lesson learned, after > 15 years using LINKSYS, I will not buy this brand anymore ! Cheers

Try to upgrade firmware. go to linksys.com and download on your pc or laptop then upgrade.

Do NOT use 80Mhz wide channels (AC) and run 2.4 at 20 or 40 MHz and run auto channel 40mhz for 5ghz. I know it’s not AC, but you won’t see the router reboot or drop your connections. Also, turn off band steering 5ghz 1 + 5Ghz2. This has solved my problems