Linksys WRT3200acm Problems Continue?

OK, 

I've been paitent for a couple of months now but this is getting really old.  There is something not exactly right about this router and I don't see where it's getting much attention.

It starts off fine from power up but don't be fooled, all is not well...

• The router gets slower over time, espically the wireless connections.  Latency just keeps going up on both wired and wireless connections. I have an olderNetgear router worth $20 that does a bit better on the latency front (though it gets swamped on throughput).
  • Wireless devices will eventualy get disconnected. Just a few at a ttime, but eventually nothing will connect.
  • The UI interface will hang up and not respond to anybody, even wired connections.
  • Configuration corruption happens often.  I'fe had to factory reset this router multiple times just to get back into it.
  • The wireless range doesn't seem to be all that great, but it's hard to quantify that.

When the router is in one of it's moods.... Usually you can reset it (assuming you can get access to it somehow) from the UI or the LInksys managment application on my smart phone, but that's not always true.  Sometimes I have to cycle the power on the device to get it back working, but even that doesn't work sometimes.  In some instances I have to do a factory reset of the device and reconfigure from scratch.  Once you get the router back on speaking terms with you, it will be fine for awhile.

Looking at the forums, I see that the problems I'm having are not unique.  Many users of this device suffer from these issues to varying degrees.  This has been going on for nearly a year, and I've owned my router now for about 6 months and have had to struggle weekly to keep my router on speaking terms with me.  Sometimes it's stable for a couple of weeks, some times only a few hours, but on average it's about once a week.

PLEASE can somebody get this fixed?  I spent over $200 on this router because I thought it was going to be great based on the hardware specs, or at tleast better than the WRT1900 I installed at the in-laws. 

Before anybody asks... Yes, I'm running the latest firmware.... I've been desperatly hoping for a fix so I have the router automatically install whatever get's put out there in the vain hope it will fix something.    Also, Yes, I've factory reset this router multiple times, and though it helps for a short time, it's no more effective than a reboot or a power cycle, assuming the configuration isn't already corrupted.  (It's really just a short term band-aid, not a real fix)

Finally.. I am a software/firmware einginer in my professional life and this looks for all the world like a programming issue, or more likely two related issues.  Somebody is not doing memory managment very well (has a memory leak or two) and loosing track of memory pointers.  I get that these problems are hard to find and correct, but it's been 6 months since I purchased this product and I presume another year or so being developed. Surely you already know about this.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Re: Linksys WRT3200acm Problems Continue?

I read on github that they very recently discovered a memory leak in the firmware which would likely account for what you are describing there's also a new wifi driver which was released by Marvell in the past couple of days... I suspect you will likely see an updated firmware soon. I bought a WRT3200ACM as well and have been a little disappointed with the apparent lack of open source readiness being encountered. I get that the open source community needs time to get their software up to speed but one would think Linksys would at least have decent drivers for them to work with

The release of the firmware I'm on was released in April on the 5th.  It is not stable.  I'm not saying it's as bad as the initial verson we started on, but it's still not right.

I did find that things got really messed up really quickly with IPV6 turned on.  It crashed in under 2 hours, consistantly with that on, disabled is somewhat tolarable, but still crashing every few days like before.

I sure hope they hurry up with the new firmware because I'm getting ready to rip this thing out. 

kc4uai wrote:

The release of the firmware I'm on was released in April on the 5th.  It is not stable.  I'm not saying it's as bad as the initial verson we started on, but it's still not right.

I did find that things got really messed up really quickly with IPV6 turned on.  It crashed in under 2 hours, consistantly with that on, disabled is somewhat tolarable, but still crashing every few days like before.

I sure hope they hurry up with the new firmware because I'm getting ready to rip this thing out. 

Did you do a factory reset after the new firmware update? Always best to do that when updating to newer fimware. 

Hi Kc4ual,

I have the same issue with my router as well (besides the numerous other ones) that it reboots after every few hours.

How did you disable IPv6? Is it going to Connectivity>>Internet Settings>>IPv6>>remove the check box against IPv6 - Automaric - Enabled? Or do I need to do someting as well?

Thanks.

If you disable IPv6 there, that shoudl get it.  

Yes, I did a factory reset... And the router did a couple of them on it's own since then.  

As it stands, I'm starting to reboot the router every few days now pre-emptively, which is very disapointing.  If I can find an old 1900 cheap enough, I think I'm going to down grade, at least until they get the firmware fixed on this one.

How do I disable IPv6.  I don't see where to do it in the web interface.

Expert

apastuszak wrote:

How do I disable IPv6.  I don't see where to do it in the web interface.

It should be under Connectivity -> Internet Settings click on IPv6 then edit to disable.

DD-WRT r36168: WRT3200ACM, WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv1
Velop: WHW0101 x3, RE6500, RE9000
TWC/Spectrum - 300/25
SysLog Watcher 5, Security Onion Intrusion Detection System on Virtual Box

Ok, that did it for the WAN interface.  How do I disable it for the LAN side of things?  Or does that turn it off for everything?