Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Need to get rid of "DNS Suffix Search List" from ISP (Comast: hsd1.ca.comcast.net)

Hi folks, I'm trying to get rid of "Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List" in Windows client, which I believe is passed from Linksys Wifi router. I checked several previous posts with similar situation, but cannot find any solution. Please let me know if this is an OP, and thanks in advance.

My situation:

Device: Linksys AC1750 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router

ISP: Comcast Business

DNS: I have my own local DNS set to 192.168.2.2 with private search suffix "office.int"

DHCP: I have my own local DHCP set to 192.168.2.2 as well, which push DNS and routes to clients. The router's DHCP is turned off.

Problem:

For Window client only, it gets "hsd1.ca.comcast.net" automatically from ISP, and sent to Window clients. This doesn't make any sense since there are no hosts I will need from "hsd1.ca.comcast.net", so this interferes with my own "office.int" internal domain suffix.

Workaround:

For Windows client DNS search suffix, but this sucks because if I move my laptop to other places, this needs to be changed or turned off.

See pictures below:

c1.png

c2.png

c3.png

Thanks!

Re: Need to get rid of "DNS Suffix Search List" from ISP (Comast: hsd1.ca.comcast.net)

Okay, I'm answering my own question. Basically, the extra DNS suffix is carried from router's IPv6 instead of my ipv6 dhcp. See the picture:

IPConfig.png

It is really annoying because I have already disabled the "IPv6 settings from the linksys router" but somehow it is still inserting ipv6 of the router itself as first DNS server. 

Workaround

Since I was unable to disabe ipv6 from router, so I'll have to disable ipv6 for Windows client. Microsoft provide several policy fixes for this: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/how-to-disable-ipv6-or-its-components-in-windows

Basically, you can choose to prefer ipv4 or ipv6. However, in my case, it only works if I disable ipv6 completely.

Please let me know if there's a way to disable sending out ipv6 for DNS from the router. Thanks.

Re: Need to get rid of "DNS Suffix Search List" from ISP (Comast: hsd1.ca.comcast.net)