Re: OpenDNS Testing

[ Edited ]

I take that back apperantly you can't set static IPv6 DNS servers on the WRT1900AC so to insure that OpenDNS is always your DNS provider you need to set your IPv4 DNS Servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 leave the 3rd DNS to 0.0.0.0 and WINS to 0.0.0.0, also you'll need to disable Ipv6 under SmartWiFi page > Connectivity > Internet Settings > IPv6 > Uncheck IPv6 - Automatic and apply the changes.

Anonymous

I presume that disabling IPv6 on the router would be for users that don't have IPv6 services right? 

Agustin wrote:

I take that back apperantly you can't set static IPv6 DNS servers on the WRT1900AC so to insure that OpenDNS is always your DNS provider you need to set your IPv4 DNS Servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 leave the 3rd DNS to 0.0.0.0 and WINS to 0.0.0.0, also you'll need to disable Ipv6 under SmartWiFi page > Connectivity > Internet Settings > IPv6 > Uncheck IPv6 - Automatic and apply the changes.

[ Edited ]

Well I contacted Linksys regarding this issue. I was explained that the WRT1900AC DCHP server automatically gives out IPv6 info as it received it from your ISP DCHP. This means that at this point in time users cannot set static IPv6 settings because the Linksys Smart WiFi page doest have that level of functionality. So for people like myself whose ISP uses both IPv4 and IPv6 services if the WRT1900AC decides to hand clients IPv6 DNS servers any statically set DNS IPv4 addresses will be essentially bypassed. Thus that OpenDNS page will show your DNS settings are not set to use their servers. So by disabling the automatic IPv6 feature referenced above you essentially force the IPv4 protocol to all your clients.

Does that make sense?

Anonymous

Maybe Chadster can chime in and or forward this to the engineers...

Agustin wrote:

Well I contacted Linksys regarding this issue. I was explained that the WRT1900AC DCHP server automatically gives out IPv6 info as it received it from your ISP DCHP. This means that at this point in time users cannot set static IPv6 settings because the Linksys Smart WiFi page doest have that level of functionality. So for people like myself whose ISP uses both IPv4 and IPv6 services if the WRT1900AC decides to hand clients IPv6 DNS servers any statically set DNS IPv4 addresses will be essentially bypassed. Thus that OpenDNS page will show your DNS settings are not set to use their servers. So by disabling the automatic IPv6 feature referenced above you essentially force the IPv4 protocol to all your clients.

Does that make sense?

That would be great, IPv6 is the future so adding static settings on the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi page for it would greatly add to the life and value of this device. Chadster if you're seeing this post please relay it to the appropriate department.

I have the same issue on my WRT 1200ac wireless router.  In the connectivity category, under the local network setting, I see static dns 1,2,3 and wins.   They appear to be only IPv4 addressable.  It has worked great with ipv4. And i've used google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. successfully.  I've used all three available static dns entries in my current router's configuration for ipv4.

My ISP (TWC) has recently turned on Ipv6 in my area, which is fine.  But there is no place for me to enter static dns entries for ipv6.   I'm running a wrt1200ac wireless router with the current firmware version 1.0.4.167471.

Will Linksys add static dns support in the ipv6 settings?  I'd like to see a minimum of four static dns entries but really I'd like to see more because it would increase resiliency, privacy, & speed of an internet connection as before with ipv4 options.

My second question is will my router's ipv4 settings work concurrently with ipv6?  I know most modern computers are dual stacks capable, running ipv4 & ipv6 at the same time.  But if i should have an older device or printer that is only ipv4, i'd still want it to run with dns settings I've chosen in my router.

Expert

Unless required by your ISP I recommend disabling IPv6 under Internet settings.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Chadster766,

I"ve seen this exact same answer before but it doesn't answer my questions. I really like the product I've bought. The firmware in my opinion is incomplete & needs feature updates to keep up with competitors.

Please don't let this be your best answer. Because if it is, then what you're not saying speaks louder. Your recommendation is noted but politely rejected.

Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

Chadster766,

I too agree, IPV6 is the future and it baffles me that Linksys of all people has amazing features on the WRT1900AC but somehow managed to leave out something as basic as IPV6 static features.

That said I've also gotten that same exact word for word response from you. I'd like to know as well does Linksys have plans on adding said features via a firmware update later on? Or would you at least be willing to escalate this to your R&D department so they know this is a feature that Linksys customers want added?

Please don't beat around the bush if your answer is NO just say so. I'd much rather hear a clear NO than that very broad malicious and misleading carefully selected word for word answer your currently regurgitating.

Thanks Agustin! Smiley Happy