Re: OpenDNS Testing

"OpenDNS is now part of Cisco"
Guess that means settlement of this bug real soon now.
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Of what bug?

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac49/ac0/ac1/ac259/opendns.html

gorade wrote:
"OpenDNS is now part of Cisco"
Guess that means settlement of this bug real soon now.

In Linksys WRT 1900AC "there is a known bug in recent Linksys firmware versions that prevents DNS settings from applying" I thougt that was what is discussed here. If not, I apologise.
Anonymous

If you refer to inputting custom DNS and clients only showing the routers IP address, thats not a bug and Linksys has stated thats how there routers work and designed. Also Cisco would have nothing to do with Linksys anymore as Linksys is owned by Belkin now. 

OPEN DNS addresses do work on the WRT router. The router does use the DNS values entered, it's just LAN side connected devices will only get the routers IP address for DNS. Unless you have a specific configuration, this does work using the DNS addresses. Never seen any problems while using this configuration. 

After a while I understood the  meaning of your post. I added the static DNS in my computers configuration and then the OpenDNS testing worked OK. Not what the OpenDNS configuration told me. I will try to tell them.

Anyway, thank you FurryNutz for making me a litle tiny bit wiser, at least on this subject.

OpenDNS is good but block websites some times.

[ Edited ]

When I put the static OpenDNS addresses in my WRT1900AC, the router is indeed using OpenDNS.  How do I know?  Because in my OpenDNS account I made up a fake web address ("www.zzzzfakezzzz.com) to be blocked.  And sure enough, if I type that address into any device on my network, I get the OpenDNS block page.  So it does in fact work.

I think there is some confusion here about what the information presented at Troubleshooting -> Status -> Report -> DNS 1-3 actually means.

The information on that page is merely telling you what default DNS addresses are being OFFERED by the ISP, and not necesarily what DNS addresses are being used by the router.  If you enter static addresses, those will be used. And my experiment proves it.

jaleesabiju9 wrote:

OpenDNS is good but block websites some times.

Norton blocked a download from that Watch Movies Online website too:

norton1.JPG

This makes sense, only if the ISP automatically hands out IPv6 DNS server info. Mine does not; it requires I set a static IPv6 DNS server address in my router... which WRT1900AC does not allow. Linksys: please update the firmware.