Peachtree won't allow network user access due to not redirecting correctly

I have a WRT54G  ver. 2 router that has worked flawlessly for 3-4 years now since we installed it.  We have 3-4 users including a server/workstation that access the internet, and we have a multi-user version of Peachtree installed.  Never had a problem until 9/1/10 - the two workstations that would access the peachtree server/workstation suddenly got error messages that the Pervasive Database within Peachtree was not accessible. 

After 3 weeks working with Peachtree, we've found the problem is not in Peachtree - it's in redirection of IP addresses.  If I ping the server, it comes up with a 204.XXX.XXX.XXX address.  Yet on the server, when it pings itself or using IPCONFIG - it comes up with assigned ip address available within the router - 192.168.x.xxx.  In other words, it's redirecting incorrectly?  I can't run peachtree on any workstation because of this and am not sure what may have changed - nobody has touched the WRT and the configuration access is on my laptop only.

Any ideas how to straighten this out?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Re: Peachtree won't allow network user access due to not redirecting correctly

Hi RAM1961!

Welcome to the Cisco Home Community Forums!

I don't think it has something to do with the router since you mentioned that it has been working before. If it has something to do with the firewall, I suggest you forward ports 1583 and 3351 which pervasive uses. Apart from that, you may want to also check if you have updated any of your software firewalls (like Norton etc.) or changes made to it which may have caused this problem.Turn off firewalls and see if it works just to make sure it's not the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Turning off Norton and Windows Firewall were the first two things I tried on the machines in question.  Still got the "database unavailable on servername error. 

Bear with me - I'm not sure what you mean by "forwarding ports". 

Thanks,

Rick

It's basically opening holes on the firewall of your router to make programs/software/consoles work by giving them minimal access to your network. I mentioned the port ranges above.

Here's an example on how to open ports on your router CLICK HERE

You need to have your computers on static IP for this to work, how to do that?

Assigning a Static IP Address on a Wireless Computer

I suggest you also upgrade your router to the latest firmware available on Cisco Home's website then reset and reconfigure it. Firmware upgrades should fix bug issues that might be caused by your router.

I'm a bit confused by the following:

From my laptop (workstation), I pinged the server and got an acceptable response and got an IP address of the server being 204.232.162.151.

That address doesn't look right - we're using a the WRT54G VER. 2 - all IP addresses used are 192.168.1.XXX.

So I went out to my status program for the linksys router to doublecheck - and yes, all addresses are that 192.168.etc.

So I went to server and ran IPCONFIG. Sure enough, it came back with 192.168.1.XXX as noted in status program for linksys. So where's this 204.232 IP address coming from?

[ Edited ]

That is the public IP address of your server. It's the number seen on the Internet (which means the server is outside your network). Your 192 range is the private one.

Peachtree support told me that this is where the problem lies - the IP address pinged must match the IP address seen in 'ipconfig'.  My question is how this may have changed out of the blue?  Should I reset the linksys router back to factory defaults and then put in any parameters I had originally?  The IP address and default gateway on the status page of the online status have changed from what was originally there in 03/05, but DNS1 and DNS2 are still the same.  Internet connection type has always been PPPoE - if I change that to "automatic configuration-DHCP", I and other users lose internet connection until I change it back.

We have DSL coming in to building and ethernet connection directly into linksys router which then has an ethernet connection to the server where peachtree is maintained.  The other three computers get to the internet and/or server thru wireless connection.  So if anything, I thought the IP address coming in from outside (Centurylink) would match up with server's IP address since they are connected.  I just don't understand what may have changed from 8/31/10 at 4 p.m. when computers were shut down (not router) to 9/1/10 at 6 a.m. when we started getting that peachtree error message.

If the server is outside your network, it is normal for it to contact that public IP address with the 20X.XXX.XXX.XXX range.Have you tried bypassing the router and just connecting straight to your modem? Try connecting that way and see if you can get a connection with it. Because chances are, if you can't connect without the router in place, you won't get a connection when its there also...

If the router's firewall is at fault then you should be able to get a connection with just the modem.

Okay, thanks first of all for continuing to follow up with me.

I unhooked the ethernet cable between peachtree server and linksys router, and plugged it in directly to DSL modem.  The little icon in bottom right hand side said it was connected, however I could do nothing.  No web browser, no email, no nothing.  So I plugged it back in as it was (DSL modem to linksys router to server) and everything is fine again.

I disabled the firewall on the linksys router - but apparently it's not helping the peachtree situation.  So, is the problem in the ethernet card on the actual server or is it in the router...or is it in dsl modem?

Even after disabling the linksys router firewall, I still get the error message that I can't access peachtree database engine when trying to re-install on my workstation.  This in spite of correct mappings where I can physically see the pervasive database and so forth on the server.