Accepted Solution

Problem Connecting a switch to a Linksys router.

Hello,

I need a little help and I've searched for a solution and tried some of the different suggestions on other threads and nothing seems to work.  I have a Linksys WRT310N wireless router (most settings are on default) connected to a cable modem.  The house I'm living in is wired through this router.  In my living room, I have a home theater setup where I want to connect multiple devices such as an xbox, PS3, a media hub, and so forth.  To do this, I've placed a netgear gigabit switch in the living room to connect the devices.  Unfortunately, none of the devices can connect to the internet through the switch.  If I connect them directly to the wall jack in the living room (that's wired to the router), they work fine.  It's only when I add the switch in there that they won't work.  I've tried leaving a port open on the switch next to the one I connect to the router but that doesn't seem to have any effect.  I've even swapped the switch out for a brand new one and it behaves the same way.  Is there a setting on the router that I have to change in order to get it to work?

Some additional information:  It's an 8 port switch with no uplink port.  When I plug in devices, the lights on the switch blink showing me it has a connection with them.  I called Netgear's customer support and verified the switch was working properly.  When I connected a laptop to it, it was able to see other devices on the switch but it was not able to connect to the router.  I'm thinking it may need a crossover cable but I read that it wasn't needed anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Expert

Re: Problem Connecting a switch to a Linksys router.

[ Edited ]

You have to connect the switch the following way...

Modem > router > switch > devices.

It's connected that way.

Cable modem --> Linksys router --> Switch in the living room --> Devices in living room.  This setup however isn't working.

If I remove the switch from the setup though like this:

Cable modem --> Linksys router --> Device in the living room.  The one device I have connected  will work fine.

While I would assume the switch is bad, I've tried 2 different ones (both brand new) and both behave the same way.  The lights on the front flash as those they have connection but none of the devices attached can connect to the internet.  I've tried power cycling the router and the switch and still nothing.  Is there a setting on the router I have to change for it to recognize the devices on the switch?

Expert

No the switch is transparent.  If you connect just one device on the switch, it still does not work?

Ahh now we are talking.  I plugged in the cable leading from the router to the switch in port one and the xbox into port 8 and the xbox now works.  I plugged the google tv in port 7 of the switch and it now works.  I was leaving the port next to the one leading to the router open (port 2 on the switch) as per the general faq but it looks like there might be a chance that the port 1 on the switch may be linked to another port and I have to leave it open.  I'll play around with it some more and find out where the problem is at.  Good thing is, I now know where I have the problem. Sabretooth, you are a genius good sir.  Apparently you know a lot more than the tech support at netgear.

Thank you!

connect to router things work.  connect same items to netgear switch not work   what up

Expert

Where is the switch connected to on the router? What kind of switch is it?

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware

Modem to. Linksys. To NETGEAR switch. All components within e feet
Expert

What model switch?

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware