Accepted Solution

Using second router to extend wireless signal WITHOUT Ethernet cable connection for main router

I've poked around here a bit and am afraid I know the answer, but here is what I want to do.

I have an EA4500 that was replaced by an EA6350, which is now my main router.  I'd like to use the EA4500 to place in another area of my house so that I have a more robust WiFi signal there for my security cameras and other things, i.e. Echo Dots, WeMo light switches, Nest camera, which sometimes fall off the WiFi network.

The problem is that I can't run an Ethernet cable to that location, so my thought was that somehow the EA4500 would be made to "see" the WiFi signal from the main router, EA6350, and then magically provide a stronger signal.

Everything I've read from Linksys seems to require a permanent Ethernet connection between the two routers.  Is that the case or is there a way for me to do this.

Expert

Re: Using second router to extend wireless signal WITHOUT Ethernet cable connection for main router

[ Edited ]

you should look at Powerline adaptors. They can extend a very reliable ethernet signal to most anywhere in your house. The only requirement for most of them is that they plug into an electrical feed that is common to both. in other words, if you house is fed from one common power transformer at the street (most are thisway) then it will work. I use them in a few spots around the house to extend just as you are asking.. you would then plug in the second router to that adaptor.  should work out great and not too expensive. you need to look at starter kits as they come with at least 2 devices. one gets plugged in to your router on a lan port and the other plugged in where you need to extend to. Some have a single port device for the router end and a multi port device for the other end. you can also plug in multiple single port devices around the house. I have seen them running as high as a giga bit speed.

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware

Re: Using second router to extend wireless signal WITHOUT Ethernet cable connection for main router

Yes, I spent an hour or so reading about them yesterday, seems like a good <$50 solution.  However my understanding is that they are for AC powered devices, i.e. one adaptor for each device.  Is this not correct?  Can they "transmit" a WiFi signal so that nearby WiFi devices can "see" it better?

A second consideration is household wiring.  My limited understanding is that in the US AC power is fed to the house at 240v to the main circuit breaker box.  It is then divided into two legs of 120vAC each that goes to most of the outlets and switches in the home.  The exception being perhaps a 240vAC plug for an electric stove and perhaps other appliances.

Therefore, if the router is on leg #1 and the remote powerline adaptor is in a location fed by leg #2, I don't know that they would "see" each other.  Not sure about all this.

And plus, I'm trying to put the EA4500 to use!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Expert

Maybe wasn't clear enough.  This will use your ea4500. The power line modems are providing you with the Ethernet connection that you will then connect your secondary router to the primary router. I have used them around my house with no issues regarding which leg they are connected to. They do have some that also provide a wifi signal but I haven't tried them. 

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
EA6900 Stock Firmware

[ Edited ]

Ah, now I get it.  Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly earlier.

I can try this, and if I have throughput via my electrical wiring, I can put the 4500 into either bridge or ap mode, whichever it will support, and then have a robust WiFi signal at that location.  Might try this tomorrow.  I can get a 1 Gbps device for about $50 at Walmart that might do the trick, although it doesn't incorporate a WiFi signal, but I wouldn't need that if it works.

Thanks for coming back with an explanation.  I'll report back in the next few days.

OK Dave, that did the trick.  Not painless on the router part, but the powerline adaptor was, plug and play after a reset of the PL devices and a reboot of the router.  Unfortunately, the Netgear PL1000 is giving me sub-par performance, i.e. about 35 Mbps when the laptop was connected and then about 30 Mbps wireless.  However that is significantly better than what I was getting down there.  

A further question...I paid $50 for the PL1000, a nice gigabit pair; for half that amount I can get 200 Mbps.  Since I'm only getting about 35 Mbps to the PL device, wouldn't it be logical for me to have the cheaper pair?  

Getting the router into bridge mode should have been easy since Linksys provided pretty good step by step instructions, but I couldn't figure out what IP address to use.  192.168.1.1 is my "main" router so I couldn't figure out which one to use.  Cleverly, I filled in the example in the instructions, 192.168.1.43 and it worked.  I guess I didn't have a device already assigned to the LAN IP address, or if I did it got reset.  Magic.

Now, I'm going to reintroduce all of the WiFi devices in the basement to the second router and see how things work out.

I very much appreciate your help.

Expert

You could use the cheaper ones but you may want to keep what you have in case the future needs arise.  If the secondary router is a smart router then you should be able to set the ip manually to 192.168.1.2 then put the secondary router to bridge mode acme connect the pri lan to sec wan. 

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
EA6900 Stock Firmware

Oh, I've got it into bridge mode already, it just wasn't pretty getting it there.  Things on that end are fine.  

In a chat with Netgear, I'm told that I should get the same speed as I get from my ISP via Ethernet with my primary router, and to return the adaptors to the store if I don't.  I'm going to try to reset them again before I do that though.  The chat agent also stated that I could mix PLA speeds, i.e. use 1000 Gbps with 200 Gbps.  Who knows.

Anyway, you set me on the right path, so thanks again.

Expert

What do you get if you connect a pc to the modem at the point where the secondary router is now connected and then run speedtest.org on the pc? That will test the powerline modems

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
EA6900 Stock Firmware
Highlighted

Yeah, that's the main issue:  I get about the same as I do when I connect wirelessly, around 30 Mbps.  Strange.