WRT3200ACM and USB Storage

Just set up my WRT3200ACM.  Blazing speed.  But unfortunatly when I tried to plug in a WD My Passport 2TB drive via the USB port, nothing.   Plugged  in a 2GB thumb drive and it gets recognized.   Plugged in a 128GB thumb drive, and nothing..  Spent over 1 hour on the phone with Linksys "offshored" technical help who were clueless.  I then asked for a supervisor and got answers that made no sense.   First I was told it's an known issue with WD drives.  Then he said it's an issue with all 2TB drives.  Had no answer why the 128GB could not be seen but the 2GB could.  Then I was told to try (buy) another drive like a Seagate.  When I asked which ones were certified he said none of the drives were.  I asked how you could release a product without a compatible list of certified USB external drives, there was no answer.  Frustrated as all hell with Linksys...

Expert

Re: WRT3200ACM and USB Storage

I had a similar problem with both my EA6900 and WRT3200ACM. I left the drives connected for a while and it seemed that if corrected itself ater about 30 minutes. maybe something about the way it scans the drives? not sure but it was the same on both routers and once they were recognized then I could reboot the router and it still worked. 

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware

Thanks..  I'll plug my WD 2TB back in and leave it overnight and see if that helps..  There is not much on it..  Both the 2GB and the 128GB thumbs were completely empty.  (2GB appeared, the 128GB didn't)   I will report out in the morning..

Nothing changed leaving it plugged in overnight.   It still can't see the WD 2TB or the 128GB thumb

Expert

Is the WRT3200ACM firmware up to date?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Yes..   It actualy prompts you to update it at setup time.   Running 1.0.6.181063.  

Expert

[ Edited ]

klaz wrote:

Yes..   It actualy prompts you to update it at setup time.   Running 1.0.6.181063.  

Did you try on both USB ports?

It could be that a hidden or the partitioning scheme is GPT. If you have a PC you can use the below command prompt commands to find out:

#Start diskpart and list disks information
diskpart
list disk

#Select disk 1 or which ever disk number is your usb drive and list it's partition information
select disk 1
list part

Linksys

[ Edited ]

Switching USB ports doesn not make a difference.

I plugged the drive back into my laptop (Win10)  and ran the commands and there is an * under the Gpt column for this drive.  

Not sure what that means though Smiley Sad

Expert

You will have to back the files on that drive because the conversion process will delete all information on it and then run the below command to convert the disk to mbr.

(***Be super careful you select the proper disk so you don't accidentally wipe out your computer's hard drive!!!!!)

#Select USB Drive, delete all partitions\volumes and convert to mbr
diskpart
list disk
#Select your USB Drive disk number (Only and Example Below) select disk 1 clean convert mbr

Linksys

I tried that with the 128BG thumb and I can now see it fine.  I'm about to hit the road for a week and don't want to risk screwing up the WD2TB right now so I'll try this when I get back.  But this gives me hope..   Thanks!