Administrator

Re: WRT3200ACM and WRT32X Firmware update available 1-11-2018

Sonnix wrote:

So far this firmware solved my problems.
Unfortunately there still some problems with opensource mwlwifi driver used by LEDE and dd-wrt. With 0x903ffff firmware provided by Marvell on lede it takes too long for some clients to connect to the network. On official 1.0.6.186168 they connect immediately without any problems right now.

Are there any details about what exactly caused problems? Will the fix eventually reach opensource driver?

Hi Sonnix,

I am just going to quietly put this one up... they go into some good detail about what is happening, but it is larger than what is being mentioned there. mDNS is at the core of the issue though.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/12/google-home-max-appears-killing-wifi-networks/

Linksys_Lucas wrote:

Hi Sonnix,

I am just going to quietly put this one up... they go into some good detail about what is happening, but it is larger than what is being mentioned there. mDNS is at the core of the issue though.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/12/google-home-max-appears-killing-wifi-networks/

Thanks for the info.

That the problem was somehow related to broadcast/multicast traffic that much I figured. But when I tried capturing traffic on the router to see what was wrong I did not see any mDNS queries. There was normal broadcast for arp and dhcp but the worst I've seen was no more then 4 packets per second. I'd hardy call that flooding and normally that should not be a problem for any router. And still some of that packets got dropped. It seems the router dropped broadcasts if they were sent faster then once every 300ms.

Was the solution handled by driver firmware or is there more to it?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

The issues I'm currently having with version 1.0.6.181063 running on the WRT3200ACM are only two:

• Most of the times I cannot load images from Instagram, hosted in URLs instagram.*.fna.fbcdn.net. Trying to establish a connection to these hostnames simply times out. From what I could figure out, I'm guessing that it has to do with some kind of problem in DNS resolution. Rebooting the router sometimes solves this issue.
  • I have trouble establishing a connection between wireless devices. For example, when I connect my Epson printer to the network, even though I can see in the printer and in the router that the printer is correctly connected to the wireless network (2.4 GHz), I can't even ping it from my computer (5 GHz). Rebooting the router normally solves this issue.

Are these two problems addressed in this new, beta firmware?

Administrator

prcribeiro wrote:

Hello,

The issues I'm currently having with version 1.0.6.181063 running on the WRT3200ACM are only two:

* Most of the times I cannot load images from Instagram, hosted in URLs instagram.*.fna.fbcdn.net. Trying to establish a connection to these hostnames simply times out. From what I could figure out, I'm guessing that it has to do with some kind of problem in DNS resolution. Rebooting the router sometimes solves this issue.

* I have trouble establishing a connection between wireless devices. For example, when I connect my Epson printer to the network, even though I can see in the printer and in the router that the printer is correctly connected to the wireless network (2.4 GHz), I can't even ping it from my computer (5 GHz). Rebooting the router normally solves this issue.

Are these two problems addressed in this new, beta firmware?

Hi PRC,

Yes these are addressed. Please give this one a try should take care of both problems for you. 

~Lucas

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the lightning fast reply! Smiley Wink

I'm installing the new firmware right now and I'll let you know how it went after some testing during the weekend.

Edit: Already running version 1.0.6.186168 and so far so good: images load and I can ping other wireless networked devices. So this is promising!

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Sonnix wrote:

Linksys_Lucas wrote:

Hi Sonnix,

Thanks for the info.

That the problem was somehow related to broadcast/multicast traffic that much I figured. But when I tried capturing traffic on the router to see what was wrong I did not see any mDNS queries. There was normal broadcast for arp and dhcp but the worst I've seen was no more then 4 packets per second. I'd hardy call that flooding and normally that should not be a problem for any router. And still some of that packets got dropped. It seems the router dropped broadcasts if they were sent faster then once every 300ms.

Was the solution handled by driver firmware or is there more to it?

Hi Sonnix,

There is more to this one. still working out all of the details for an RCA report, but we had to update the WLAN Driver Firmware to better deal with the mDNS floods. In general you would be correct with normal traffic the router should be able to easily handle a very noisy client. However mDNS multicast packets have to be sent out at the basic rate... So during the time that those packets are being sent out your AC router takes a trip back to 1999 and sends things out super slowly to ensure that everyone gets a chance to receive them. Hoping I can share the full fun story eventually, but for now that is all i can offer for the curious minds out there.

One of our engineers shared this with me to sum up what is happening when mDNS floods are happening Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIkgSJcRlF4

~Lucas

Just wanted to chime in to say the newest firmware is running great. I now have my EA8300 running in wireless bridge repeater mode to extend the network to a addition on the back on my house as the wifi barely made it out there. I'm using the AC band for the bridge and my home network has never been better. Things are fantastic. I have full coverage and very fast speeds all through my house. The buffering while streaming is gone, everything is consistent....and even the 2.4 band for my older devices is running very nicely. I have always run DD WRT on my devices but things are running so well I'm going to stay on the Linksys Firmware. Thank you again.

OK so I successfully loaded v1.0.6.186168 in my WRT3200ACM from v1.0.6.184351. This was a good sign since prior to the new build I was unable to load any other FW builds through the web browser UI (factory or third party fw). Now with the new build installed, I attempted to load the latest ddWRT r34411 via the UI without any luck; The file would upload into the router and a few minutes later the pop up window would appear saying "Firmware update complete" I restart the browser and the factory and, what??, the Linksys UI shows up!!  I then attempted to toggle to the alternate partition with the three rapid starts but the same factory UI is stil there...

I then tried to upload ddWRT r34311, 34080, 33986, 33772 & 33679 with the same result!

So it appears the only way to upload third-party firmware is by means of a serial-ttl cable and TFTP? is this a new 'feature' of Linksys to not support third-party firmware uploads from the factory UI?

Thanks,

Darren

Here's a follow up to my last post. I tried to roll-back to v1.06.181063 via the factory UI wihtout any luck.  The router went off into the weeds at about 5 minutes and had to cycle power several times to recover.  When it finally came up, v1.0.6.186168 was still there.

I then tried to upload v1.0.5.179030 with the same result.

It appears that since the rollout of v1.0.6.184351, the user is unable to roll-back to earlier versions or upload third-party firmware builds...

Expert

azdeltawye wrote:

Here's a follow up to my last post. I tried to roll-back to v1.06.181063 via the factory UI wihtout any luck.  The router went off into the weeds at about 5 minutes and had to cycle power several times to recover.  When it finally came up, v1.0.6.186168 was still there.

I then tried to upload v1.0.5.179030 with the same result.

It appears that since the rollout of v1.0.6.184351, the user is unable to roll-back to earlier versions or upload third-party firmware builds...

Below is a quote from the support site:

-----

IMPORTANT:  If you are moving from firmware version 1.0.6.184351 to 1.0.6.181063, you may need to reset your router after updating your firmware.  Follow the steps below if you are still experiencing issues after switching firmware versions:

-----

So pressing the recessed reset button for 30 seconds after the router reboots might be required.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support