Expert

Re: WRT32X Dropping Wifi?

[ Edited ]

root@WRT32x:~# umount /usbconf/sda1
root@WRT32x:~#
Beefyheart wrote:

I am not sure how to run the logfile. can you walk me through this please?

thank you

Sure I will provide more detailed instructions on how to capture the log as a persistent file. This is handy for troubleshooting kernel crashes and intermittent errors.

1) Format a USB Key Fat32 (other formats should work but I know Ext4 does not)

2) Plug the USB Key into the router's USB port

3) Find out where the USB Key was mounted

root@WRT32x:~# mount|grep sd
/dev/sda1 on /usbconf/sda1 type vfat (rw,sync,relatime,uid=65534,gid=655,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,flush,errors=remount-ro)

From this command you can see the USB Key is mounted to "/usbconf/sda1".

4) Start logread in the background so the process doesn't end when you exit SSH. Also append the output the syslog to a file on the USB Key. The below example start logread as mentioned and the second command confirms that it is running in the background.

root@WRT32x:~# logread -f >> /usbconf/sda1/syslog.txt &
root@WRT32x:~# ps|grep logread
 6778 root      1168 S    logread -f
 6791 root      1080 R    grep logread

5) To view you saved log file you have to kill the running logread process.

root@WRT32x:~# killall logread
[1]+  Done                       logread -f 1>>/usbconf/sda1/syslog.txt

6) To edit\view the file.

root@WRT32x:~# vim /usbconf/sda1/syslog.txt

7) You can now dismount the and remove the USB Key to view the text log file in your PC.

root@WRT32x:~# umount /usbconf/sda1

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert

Someone found the Linksys download link for a WRT32X firmware:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32X-Slow-phone-downloads/m-p/1241416#M342921

Linksys
Expert

4rings wrote:

See message 6 here for a link to the old firmware (.208) and instructions on how to install it:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32X-Slow-phone-downloads/td-p/1241278

Thanks for the info Smiley Happy

Linksys

Thank you... This helps a ton.

Re: WRT32X Connects to Internet But Won't Load Web Pages

I purchased Linksys’s new WRT32X during the first week of November to replace my old Wi-Fi router.  The WRT32X  successfully mated  to my 3+ year old Arris SB6121 Docsis 3.0 cable modem (Comcast).

During the 1st week of December I upgraded my cable modem to an Arris SB8200 Docsis 3.1.  The heretofore solid WRT32X now refused to access the internet.  It showed it was connected to the internet, reflected the same on all devices, both Ethernet and wireless but no pages would load.  Went through several hours of PD, including about 2 hours with Comcast, doing hard and soft resets, cable swaps, ipconfig renews and IP address manipulation (I’m a retired techie).

Reinstalled my old dual band router (Asus RT-AC66U – AC1750) and all was well again!!??  Thinking the new Arris router was the problem I exchanged it for a Netgear CM1000 Docsis 3.1 cable modem.  But the same problem (unable to load web pages) again occurred when I hooked up the WRT32X.  More PD, firmware updates, etc. no luck.  Reinstalled my old Asus router and all was well again.

Summarizing:  WRT32X + Arris SB6121 (Docsis 3.0) = GOOD;

WRT32X + Arris SB8200 (Docsis 3.1) = BAD;

WRT32X + Netgear CM1000 (Docsis 3.1) = BAD.

Any suggestions why the WRT32X won’t play nice with Docsis 3.1 cable modems (the only common dominator I could think of at this point.)?  I can still return it for a full refund.  Many thanks.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Retiredgeek wrote:

Any suggestions why the WRT32X won’t play nice with Docsis 3.1 cable modems (the only common dominator I could think of at this point.)?  I can still return it for a full refund.  Many thanks.

I recommend you SSH into the WRT32x and run the below commands to help pinpoint the issue:

#See if you get an IP Address on the WAN
ip addr|grep inet

#List current routes
ip route

#Ping and route testing
ping www.google.com
traceroute www.google.com

Linksys

I use the SB8200 with no issues with my WRT32X. Not sure what your issue with docsis 3.1 may be. Very odd.

I had a problem after mating my WRT32X to an Arris TM1602 modem (my internet connection had been sold for years with my previous Asus NR-66R router and Arris modem).  The symptom was that my modem would reboot randomly.  Not sure of the docsis version.  Modem event logger referred to it as DOCSIS (CM).

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Could-new-router-be-disconnecting-modem-from-the-i...

After weeks of troubleshooting and replacing every conceivable piece of hardware from the street to the modem (coax cables, connectors, and the modem itself, but with the same modem, AND going as far as replacing the infrastructure cable running underground the length of my street), my ISP (Spectrum) replaced the modem with a different brand entirely (ubee).  That fixed the problem.

Same issue for about a week and a half now. I did the "firmware" update that was given above. Yet this only works a bit and will disconnect all wifi devices on the router. Unplugging the router and doing a soft reboot works for a the time being to fix the issue. Id like to keep this router but if I have to go back to my AC5400 im gonna give up on linksys again. 

[ Edited ]

One user downgraded his FW and resolved his issues with wifi.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32X-Slow-phone-downloads/m-p/1242590#M343077

xmattisi17 wrote:

Same issue for about a week and a half now. I did the "firmware" update that was given above. Yet this only works a bit and will disconnect all wifi devices on the router. Unplugging the router and doing a soft reboot works for a the time being to fix the issue. Id like to keep this router but if I have to go back to my AC5400 im gonna give up on linksys again.