Highlighted
Accepted Solution

WRT32X not reading hard drive?

I just got a new WRT32X and when I plug in an external hard drive to the USB port it says it can’t read it. I have tried two different hard drives, and it’s the same thing. I have tried formatting them to Ntfs and fat32, but it doesn’t fix the problem. Also my pc can read them fine. I have also tried resetting the router. Any suggestions? Also the router can read a flash drive, just not a disk drive. Are they just not supported? It worked on my last lynksys router, so I hope that isn’t the case....

Re: WRT32X not reading hard drive?

Hi, Wmfolkers; Have you compared the drives you’re using to the list supported by the WRT1900AC?
Try this link http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=136442
If they’re compatible with the 1900, they should work with the 32. Also, what type of drive are they? Do they have external power or do the draw power from the USB port? I saw a previous post mentioning that the USB may not be enough power to operate the external drive. Hope that helps.

The drive I am using is listed on there. It does not have external power, it draws it from the USB, but it is USB 3.0 if that matters?

The power seems like it could be the problem, although I can feel it spin when its pluged into the router?

thnaks

Pretty much, thanks for sharing!!

I would get external power. Some routers don't have enough power to detect large sized drives on USB. USB 3.0 uses more power than USB 2.0. Try a drive with a external power adapter. I would try a small sized flash drive to see if the router is detecting any USB drive. 

Wmfolkers wrote:

The drive I am using is listed on there. It does not have external power, it draws it from the USB, but it is USB 3.0 if that matters?

The power seems like it could be the problem, although I can feel it spin when its pluged into the router?

thnaks

Even if that same hard drive worked with my previous linksys router, (Linksys - AC2600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router), Its possible this higher end router isnt putting out enough power? thats VERY dispointing if that is indead the problem. Also, it is able to read a thumb drive, just not disk drives.........

BoilerPlate wrote:

I would get external power. Some routers don't have enough power to detect large sized drives on USB. USB 3.0 uses more power than USB 2.0. Try a drive with a external power adapter. I would try a small sized flash drive to see if the router is detecting any USB drive. 

Wmfolkers wrote:

thnaks

Try the USB drive with a external power supply. 

I dont have any USB drives that use external power. Also, the USB drives work fine with out external power, its just the hard drive that doesnt.

BoilerPlate wrote:

Try the USB drive with a external power supply. 

Drives work for the most part. Just working with routers, they don't provide enough power, thus external power is needed. Especially on larger sized drives.