Highlighted
Administrator
Accepted Solution

WRT32x and WRT3200ACM WiFi Issues

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

Am working to consolidate some of the threads for both of these routers today since all of them are related to WiFi Connectivity Concerns that seem to be arising with customers who are using various Android devices on their networks.

We are aware of the Wi-Fi performance issue affecting some WRT32X and WRT3200ACM users. 

WRT32X

While we are investigating the issue, we have posted directions for users to manually rollback their router to a previous stable version of firmware available from Linksys.com. Please follow the instructions very carefully when rolling back the 32X to ensure that you maintain full functionality of the router after the rollback.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=226203

WRT3200ACM

If you have been experiencing wireless drops for the WRT3200ACM since the November firmware update. We recommend that you rollback to the previous version, that has an older stable version of the Wireless Chipset driver Which is :

FIRMWARE

Ver. 1.0.6.181063
Latest Date:  5/18/2017
Download 39.9 MB 

Release Notes

For the WRT3200ACM you can manually download the update and install it or you can access your router UI, and select check for update which will now show the previous firmware available as an update.

After downgrading you may need to reset your router to get everything running smoothly again.

We are still investigating the root cause of the wireless  issues, and have already started reaching out to a few of the community members for additional network details to try and determine if there are certain combinations of devices or configurations that are causing the instability.

If you have a few minutes to assist and could share some network information with us it would be very helpful if you could take this very quick survey. Also if you have some more time and are interested in providing packet captures and sysinfo logs you can reach out to me directly via PM as well.

WRT3200ACM and WRT32X Issue Isolation Survey

I know this is frustrating to a lot of people and I am going to get my fair share of fun comments below for being the one on the forums asking for more info, but rest assured we are all working on getting everyone a premanent resolution as quickly as we can, and the more info we can get from a wide variety of user setups helps us narrow things down.

****UPDATE 12/16****

In order to save everyone the effort of scrolling through 15 pages of this thread, wanted to consolidate some of the possible workarounds to help stabilize the network with everyone. Keep in mind these are just things to try, at this point i myself have explanation as to the rhyme or reason of these working, but am sharing the feedback from the community to help you guys find some stability on your networks while we grind away on our side.

These are in order of least stressful to roll implement, and at this point I do not think any of them 100% resolve the issue, but they all seem to have had benefit to extending the uptime significantly. Also there are a few mentioned in the community about disabling security that seems to work, however I myself cannot recommend those so the below are the safer ones Smiley Happy

• On the router change the DNS settings to use google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 after you make the change in the router to give these addresses out via DHCP reboot and let all of your devices get new addresses.

• If you have Android Phones Disable the WiFi and just use up that precious cellular data instead (not recommended if you do not have an unlimited plan, and does not seem to work for everyone)

• For the more intrepid I am opening up the previous 2 firmware builds that came out before May. These had older WiFi Chipset drivers, and some people have found these to be more stable, keep in mind though if you do rollback some bug fixes may be lost so have a quick look at release notes prior to making this choice.

If you have success with any of the above please do share, as I have said a few times my goal is to get you guys running as smoothly as possible so people sharing what is working and isnt definitely helps. I will be keeping an eye on things over the weekend while at home, so feel free to keep reaching out with your feedback.

***** UPDATE 1/17/2018 ****

Google has today posted a known issue on their site. It has some updates there that you can follow to learn how to resolve this issue on your client side device.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7634752?hl=en&ref_topic=7071995

~Lucas

Re: WRT32x and WRT3200ACM WiFi Issues

Linksys_Lucas wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Am working to consolidate some of the threads for both of these routers today since all of them are related to WiFi Connectivity Concerns.

We are aware of the Wi-Fi performance issue affecting some WRT32X and WRT3200ACM users. 

WRT32X

While we are investigating the issue, we have posted directions for users to manually rollback their router to a previous stable version of firmware available from Linksys.com. Please follow the instructions very carefully when rolling back the 32X to ensure that you maintain full functionality of the router after the rollback.

WRT3200ACM

If you have been experiencing wireless drops for the WRT3200ACM since the November firmware update. We recommend that you rollback to the previous version, that has an older stable version of the Wireless Chipset driver Which is :

FIRMWARE

Ver. 1.0.6.181063
Download 39.9 MB 

Release Notes

For the WRT3200ACM you can manually download the update and install it or you can access your router UI, and select check for update which will now show the previous firmware available as an update.

After downgrading you may need to reset your router to get everything running smoothly again.

We are still investigating the root cause of the wireless  issues, and have already started reaching out to a few of the community members for additional network details to try and determine if there are certain combinations of devices or configurations that are causing the instability. If you have the time to assist and would like to share some of your network configs with us please reach out to me via PM, and I can share what information we are looking for.

~Lucas

@Linksys_Lucas

Finally, an official thread for this!

I have gone through the rollback to firmware 1.0.170828.208 yesterday for my WRT32X (a Linksys support rep. did it remotely). It worked okay for around 6 hours, and then the problem came back again. Now the condition is even worse as I'm losing Wi-Fi multiple times every hour. So, rolling back to v208 firmware did not work for me.

I also have a WRT3200ACM, and will try out the steps you posted, but from the other threads I'm not hopeful that'll work. Dumb luck that I have bought so called "top-of-the-line" router from Linksys.

I was supposed to be contacted again today for update and am still waiting for the call.

Administrator

crackjackx wrote:

Linksys_Lucas wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Am working to consolidate some of the threads for both of these routers today since all of them are related to WiFi Connectivity Concerns.

WRT32X

WRT3200ACM

FIRMWARE

Ver. 1.0.6.181063
Download 39.9 MB 

Release Notes

We are still investigating the root cause of the wireless  issues, and have already started reaching out to a few of the community members for additional network details to try and determine if there are certain combinations of devices or configurations that are causing the instability. If you have the time to assist and would like to share some of your network configs with us please reach out to me via PM, and I can share what information we are looking for.

~Lucas

@Linksys_Lucas

Finally, an official thread for this!

I have gone through the rollback to firmware 1.0.170828.208 yesterday for my WRT32X (a Linksys support rep. did it remotely). It worked okay for around 6 hours, and then the problem came back again. Now the condition is even worse as I'm losing Wi-Fi multiple times every hour. So, rolling back to v208 firmware did not work for me.

I also have a WRT3200ACM, and will try out the steps you posted, but from the other threads I'm not hopeful that'll work. Dumb luck that I have bought so called "top-of-the-line" router from Linksys.

I was supposed to be contacted again today for update and am still waiting for the call.

Hi CrackJackx

Just checked with the team they will be giving you a call today, to follow up. In the meantime though since you rolled back already it would be helpful if you could share of the following detail. If not comfortable sharing here you can send it over in a Private Message.

For others if you have downgraded and are still experiencing issues if you could let me know the following info as well it will help quite a bit,

• A quick breakdown of the devices that you have on your network, and if you know what band they are connected to. 
  • Did you notice any of those devices getting a firmware or software update between December 4th and 10th.

• Did you notice stability issues right after the November 28th update or did it come later? According to all of our server data nearly 100% of updates went out on the 28th and 29th, but we did not start to see complaints until about 5 days later which is what is causing us some trouble on the isolation. Typically if there is something fundamentally flawed in the update we will see a huge spike in contacts and social chatter right away, but there was a long delay in this case.

• In your wireless passphrase are you using any special characters? If so can you share what they are. I dont need to know password length or location of special characters, just which ones you are using.

Hi CrackJackx

Just checked with the team they will be giving you a call today, to follow up. In the meantime though since you rolled back already it would be helpful if you could share of the following detail. If not comfortable sharing here you can send it over in a Private Message.

For others if you have downgraded and are still experiencing issues if you could let me know the following info as well it will help quite a bit,

• A quick breakdown of the devices that you have on your network, and if you know what band they are connected to. 
  • Did you notice any of those devices getting a firmware or software update between December 4th and 10th.

• Did you notice stability issues right after the November 28th update or did it come later? According to all of our server data nearly 100% of updates went out on the 28th and 29th, but we did not start to see complaints until about 5 days later which is what is causing us some trouble on the isolation. Typically if there is something fundamentally flawed in the update we will see a huge spike in contacts and social chatter right away, but there was a long delay in this case.

• In your wireless passphrase are you using any special characters? If so can you share what they are. I dont need to know password length or location of special characters, just which ones you are using.

I just finished the call with the support rep. The sysinfo file from the router was copied over by them.

As for the additional information you asked, I'm sending you a PM.

+1

[ Edited ]

I have both of these routers. I made this firmware change on both units and I'm still having this issue. I thought buying the WRT32x would fix the issue I was having with the WRT3200ACM but now I have the same issue with both routers. Is there a new firmware coming anytime soon for either of these routers besides using to old firmware?

I think it's very nice of the linksys customer base to help linksys offload some of it's product/integration testing.  If these were free routers I would be all for it.  However, what I'm gleaming from the forums w/respect to the 3200acm is absurd.  Very disappointed in you, linksys, you were a name I trusted.

I have rolled back to Ver. 1.0.6.181063 and I'm still having issues. The wifi will broadcast but without internet.

I called in and was told to my out 2.4ghz on channel 9 and 5ghz on channel 153. Within 30 minutes it failed again. The only fox is turning the broadcast on/off or rebooting the router.

I'm going to keep my WRT3200ACM as its out of warranty but I'm going to return my WRT32x while I'm still in my window with BB. I can't afford to be stuck with 2 routers that don't work. I really like my WRT3200ACM as its been one of my favorite routers I owned. This is really disappointing.

I rolled mine back two days ago and it has improved the WiFi but I still experience issues with no internet at random times. I verified with my isp that there haven't been any outages or issues.

if the updated firmware was pushed to my device on the 29th then about 5 days after seems about spot on with when i started noticing the WiFi dropping signal on both 2.4 and 5. I just hope that if this failed update messed up my router indefinitely, that Linksys would extend my warranty.