Re: WRT32x and WRT3200ACM WiFi Issues

If you read back on the other form (https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32X-Dropping-Wifi/td-p/1238020) you can see my issues.

Basically, the same similar things. I will sum up my experiences for the wrt32x

• Bought the router sometime in November before Thanksgiving - saw no issues
  • Add two more devices to my network for a total of 9 devices on the network at one time (with a max of 12 devices sometimes)
  • Around the beginning of December router would drop devices (see Description below)
  • Tried rolling back firmware - no help
  • Exchanged my wrt32x for another wrt32x
  • Did not let my wrt32x update and ran on factory firmware -  issues reappear shortly
  • Updated to .201 - still issues, updated to .208 - still issues

Description of Issue

Router will drop all devices on either the 2.4 ghz signal or the 5.0 ghz signal. It will still broadcast the signal, but no devices can reconnect without restarting the router. This happens to ALL devices on a specific signal. So the router may drop all devices on the 2.4 ghz signal, but any device on the 5.0 ghz signal is okay.

It Is The Router

Usually in tech support, at this point the tech support starts asking questions about the devices, or the modem, or the ISP provider. This is not an issue with anything but the router. There is no explanation besides that. The modem isn't going to cause the router to drop devices but still broadcast a signal that cannot be connected to. The devices wouldn't cause all other devices on that same network drop as well.

What Could It Be

The problem is that Linksys (Belkin) engineer team can't replicate the issue. I can replicate the issue. I've done so with two routers. Because after all of this, I am betting on either hardware issues (bad batch of routers made) or firmware issues that only show up on certain retail models (because of slight changes in production or something like that).

Here is a crazy idea. How about I send you my router and you send me yours (on the one which you can't replicate the issue). Seriously, let's do a hardware swap.

Good Luck

Good luck Belkin engineer team!

I'd be happy to box up mine and send to Belkin as well.  Right now, it's simply nothing more than a $250 boat anchor.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be reproduced by engineering.  Send people out to customer homes, get outside of your bubble, do whatever it takes, but to date the response has been absolutely unacceptable.  

I now have replaced my WRT3200ACM with a rather inexpensive TP-Link router.  In fact, I own three of them now, two that have been operating for well over a year without a single restart, without experiencing any issue whatsoever, so Linksys, I know this can be done!

Yos

I've been running stable for the last 3.5 hours and still going strong, which is far longer than I have kept a connection since this problem started a week ago.  It usually started having problems within 10 to 20 minutes after reboot until now.

I'm not saying this is an actual fix (in fact, I'm expecting it to drop any minute), but it is certainly easy to try and nothing to lose and I was too excited not to share! Smiley Happy

Others have been saying at times they could access some websites but not others.  Possibly that was true for me too and I just didn't notice it.  But this morning I did notice that behavior.  Well, that sounded like possible DNS issues to me, so I decided to try Google's DNS servers.  It started working for me immediately, although that may be because it had to apply settings and therefore maybe reset the wireless radio?  Not sure. But it has been working for 3.5 hours as of now.

If you want to try it, in your router settings, go to "Connectivity", then "Local Network" tab.  In "Static DNS 1" enter 8.8.8.8 and in "Static DNS 2" enter 8.8.4.4.  For those unfamiliar with DNS, it is used to resolve friendly website names into the IP addresses that are actually used to contact those websites.  This just uses Google's servers to do that name resolution.

One reason I'm skeptical that this could be the real problem is that I don't see how a DNS problem would affect wireless connections, but leave wired connections stable.  Maybe someone who knows more about routers/networking than I do can say if there is some reason that might be true (or not).

FYI - I had this router for around 7 months and it was rock solid until about 1 week ago.  No amount of flashing old/new firmware or tweaking settings has made any difference until I changed the DNS servers.  Fingers crossed.  

Administrator

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply to the quick survey we put up last night. I have forwarded some of the data gathered over to our engineering team, and will be reaching out to those of you that were willing to share some additional information in an hour or so. 

The one thing that is really jumping out is that on the device list 33 of the 36 people that replied have an android phone. and the 3 that did not have an android tablet. Beyond that we are not seeing a correlation between devices on the network. For my own sanity those of you that have been experiencing constant crashes could you remove the android phone from your network, and let me know if things stabilize?

Widget_7f19ee08-b712-42e5-9660-57dd5977280d.png

I confirm. I have problem on both my android phones. One is s8+ and second is Huawei p9. PC connected via dlink wifi stick and have no problems

Best idea yet! The best thing I think Belkin can do is allow exchange of all of these screwed-up routers.

Problem with that logic is that my network has two Android devices, 2 Amazon fire devices (that are actually Android for all intents), plus two iOS devices. All of them are on WiFi and all of them lose WiFi at the same time. I will be happy to remove all of the Android devices this weekend from WiFi and report back, but I'd be surprised if the correlation pans out.

to be honest yes i have android devices but its not just those. my playstation 4 and xbox one console that ruin through wifi dont get any connection, inncluding smart Tv's it's a firmware issue or something similar. 

I also confirm that even after rolling back to the previous firmware, doing a full factory reset and reboot the issue is still there.

Wireless (on both 2 and  5 Ghz) works for a few hours and then the connections are dropped.

I believe this is impacting all of my devices but it is mostly noticeable on my Arlo wifi camers (Arlo Q) which stop sending motion detection singals to the Arlo website.

I don't know what Linksys will do to fix this issue but this one of the many issues I've been having with this router which require frequent reboots to solve them.

I have a cheap Netgear router that has not given me any of these issues before so I was expecting an expensive piece of equipment like this one to be more stable!

Definitely not worth the money!

It sucks because, I as a Best Buy employee have been suggesting the WRT32X to all of my gaming customers because I purchased one as well. It was working just fine until recently with the update from about two weeks ago. We have had customers return because of this issue already.