Administrator

Re: WRT32x and WRT3200ACM WiFi Issues

[ Edited ]

david3140 wrote:
Problem with that logic is that my network has two Android devices, 2 Amazon fire devices (that are actually Android for all intents), plus two iOS devices. All of them are on WiFi and all of them lose WiFi at the same time. I will be happy to remove all of the Android devices this weekend from WiFi and report back, but I'd be surprised if the correlation pans out.

Hi David,

Actually what we are looking at specifically is the phones, the other devices we dont have to worry about at the moment.

Happy to share the logic with you guys on this one to keep us all working towards a quick fix for everyone.

• For the WRT3200ACM we launched the firmware on November 28th nearly all units in the field were updated over the night of the 28th and 29th.
  • We monitor every firmware release to measure spikes in call volume or social chatter. Which was minimal until December 5th after that it became noticeable. Which also correlates to the latest Android Security Patch date.
  • Several companies have been working on KRACK wireless updates and security fixes for their devices, and have been releasing them lately, since KRACK is a client side issue that attacks the key authentrication mechanisms on the network it is possible that someone released a bad update that is not playing well with the WRT Wireless Chipset.
  • If these phones are sending auth/deauth packets that the router does not like it could create impacts for all other devices trying to rekey as well, which is why people could be seeing a slow dropping of clients from the network.

At the same time we are working on a lot of other things beyond just removing these devices, but on my side the goal is to try to get people a workaround so they have stability while our engineering teams get to a long term fix.

I bought an Asus RT-AC5300 to get me through and I hate it already but at least the wifi is working. I really want Linksys to make this right because I like the 3200acm router much better than the competition. PLEASE put out a new firmware that fixes this asap!

[ Edited ]

@Linksys_Lucas

Thanks for the updates, good to be kept updated on what's being looked at.

FWIW:

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/

It mentioned security updates to the "Media Framework", maybe something to do with Chromecast?  My WRT3200ACM seems to go out within an hour of me connecting it.

They pushed out their latest security update on the 4th.  Posssibly related?

My OnePlus 3T doesn't have this security update yet, but my Nexus 9 running on LineageOS may have gotten this update around that time.  I'll look into it when I get home today and post any findings.

One interesting bit was that when I was experiencing the problem, my Galaxy S8 would show my wireless network's SSIDs but when I tried to connect I would get an authentication error. I wasn't getting that on my Apple products (even though they were having trouble connecting too)

Apparently me editing my post deleted it. I think there is some weight behind the Android theory as I have a Google Pixel and received the Android 8.1 Oreo update on the 6th and that, I believe, included the KRACK fix. The 6th is about when I started noticing the problem.

I have 2 Google Pixels always attached to my wifi and I had no issues at all until the most recent update of the routers firmware. One of the Pixels is on 8.1 and the other is still on 7.1. They both have had no issues until the most recent firmware and both continue to show connected to the wifi as if there are no issues until you try to use it and then there is no connectivity. 

Thank you Lucas for the detailed response. I am willing to be patient while Linksys/Belkin finds a long term solution. However, having spent almost $300 for this router, one would think that all updates would be vetted and NOT rolled out to these routers without that QA being performed FIRST. Also, where are the change logs? Linksys must do a better job of informing us. Having gone through this once, you won't fool me again. If a permanent fix is found, you can count on me to turn off auto updates and I will never trust an "overnight" update again from your company.

@Linksys_Lucas

Yes, I have an Android phone. 

I know for a fact that other wifi device connected to my WRT3200 lost internet access multiple times, on several different days,  when my Android phone was not connected or even in the house. 

Note: My new Netgear router has no issues with my Android phone.

Are you saying there is some issue on Google's end, with their Krack patches? Do you guys have evidence of this?

Maybe your engineering should get a few Android phones to do some testing with. Linksys should also reach out to Google if they believe there is some kind of error with their Krack patches. I am sure Google would want to resolve any such issues.

It's great that people here are willing to try to help Linksys with this. But, I would like to remind you we are your customers, not your beta testers.

The Android theory may have some basis. My OnePlus 5 has September 2017 (Android v7.1.1) security patch, while my Nexus 7 tablet has the December 2017 patch (LineageOS 14.1).

I have removed all Android devices, including my Google Home from the WRT32X network, and am monitoring from my Windows 10 desktop and laptop. Will observe.

@david3140

If the issue is in fact the latest android security patch not playing nicely, there would have been no inclination of a problem existing in QA as the latest firmware was released more than a week prior to the possibly problematic android patch.  It probably got through QA fine at the time it was released.  Not like they can travel through time and know it wouldn't play nice with the android update.