Administrator

Re: WRT32x and WRT3200ACM WiFi Issues

[ Edited ]

lbradshaw wrote:

@Linksys_Lucas

Yes, I have an Android phone. 

I know for a fact that other wifi device connected to my WRT3200 lost internet access multiple times, on several different days,  when my Android phone was not connected or even in the house. 

Note: My new Netgear router has no issues with my Android phone.

Are you saying there is some issue on Google's end, with their Krack patches? Do you guys have evidence of this?

Maybe your engineering should get a few Android phones to do some testing with. Linksys should also reach out to Google if they believe there is some kind of error with their Krack patches. I am sure Google would want to resolve any such issues.

It's great that people here are willing to try to help Linksys with this. But, I would like to remind you we are your customers, not your beta testers.

lbradshaw,

Yes our engineering team is working through this with all of the data collected. My goal here though is to help isolate the problem as best I can for the community, and if possible get a workaround in place for everyone while we work on a long term fix on our side. At this point we are exploring all possibilities as to root cause, and I am not saying it is a google issue, but we definitely have an interop issue since this problem is only affecting a small segment of our user base that have WRTs.

TheThnikkaman, that would make some sense if my Android devices were running the most recent security patches. They are both running October, 2017.

My phone only has the Oct 5th update and I too am experiencing the dropped connection issue.  As for the high number of Android devices from the survey, android devices account for 80% of the market share. One issue I did see was after turning my router on then off (or resetting my router, I can't remember which one I did), my windows machine prompted me with a DHCP error message saying that a device on the network already had the IP address. Though I'm running stock firmware, the opensource version of the marvel wifi driver has an issue posted regarding DHCP doing some funky stuff. https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/243

Correction, my One plus 5 is running September and my Xiaomi device is running October Android security patches.

I'm wondering if the Linksys engineers are working in an environment with other routers and signals. It seems like may have something to do with other signals since some are having better luck by changing the channels manually.

@David3140
Any Chromecasts on your network? I'm curious as to if it maybe got an update pushed to it that would show the same issues as the latest android patch.

@jameratzlaff
Good find, looks like that could also be a promising lead and would fit the behavior people are seeing.

@Linksys_Lucas

I can appreciate your position as I worked tech support for several years. Not always the most enjoyable job. Smiley Happy  This whole thing is frustrating and has cost customers time and money. So, you are hearing my frustration. I've watched for weeks while Linksys seemed to do nothing about this, I have spent hours trying to get my WRT3200 working well again, and in the end bought a different router because I needed my access to be reliable. So, for you guys to say the issue is someones(Google's) bad KRACK update is kind of hard to swallow. It sounds a bit like Linksys doesn't want to take responsibility for the issues.

But the Android phone idea should be easy to test. Like I said, I had issues without an Android phone being connected

So after trying everything and being desperate to not give up either ... I decided to reflash ddwrt the latest flash since The Dec 4th update which got released literally on the 14th and THANKFULLY no WiFi drops as of yet and we have Apple and android devices connected and I personally am on the 5G vs stock 5G wouldn’t work... Going strong for once !! I have noticed a little less speed on the WiFi but still powerful enough to do things!! Keep you guys posted !!

@Linksys_Lucas

I don't doubt that you guys are working hard to solve this issue, and hopefully all the input the users are providing are useful.

However, what frustrates me is that it took such a long time for Linksys to approach this issue. I learnt almost nothing when I contacted Linksys through phone and chat support - only when I started posting in social media did I get proper response. I think it's general expectation to get prompt customer service when you are buying an expensive router.

Anyway, needed to blow off some steam. Will continue to post what I observe after removing my Android devices from WiFi network. I doubt Linksys will pay for my mobile data usage during this time or compensate for all the trouble I've been having for a week or so Smiley Tongue
Yos

Seven hours of stable wifi after changing my router to use Google's DNS servers. Still no idea if it is a permanent fix, but I haven't had anywhere NEAR this uptime since the problem started.