Re: WRT32x and WRT3200ACM WiFi Issues

TheThnikkaman, no Chromecast but do have two Amazon Fire TV devices. I have no idea if they're security patched similar to Android phones or Chromecast.

@Yos changing DNS shouldn't fix issues with your dropping devices. If that fixed your issue, then your issue was more likely with your ISP than the router.

@OP
After two days of testing my theory that the dropping device issue is some how related to the amount of devices on the router, I am starting think the two are related.

So I've been testing having only 3 or 4 devices connected, and the router has been pretty stable so far.

Also, I agree that it is a stretch to say Google devices are causing the issue. Again not a network engineer, but devices only send packets, how would a packet cause the whole router to drop all devices on a signal and then not allow other devices to reconnect?

I think like the other poster said, android represents a good chunk of the phone and tablet market. It would therefore be expected that most of you consumers base would is use android devices.

I am seriously leaning towards hardware issues, but I would love to flash dd-wrt on my wrt32x and see if that fixes the issue, but for some reason wrt32x wont let the flash happen successfully. Anyone at Linksys can explain why?

I just filled out the survey. I have the WRT3200ACM and I rolled the firmware back using the instructions listed here. My router is still having issues and I think its gotten worse as my devices lose connection quicker now.

Yos

@Crowe
As others have reported, they were able to reach some sites, but not others while showing still connected to wifi. I hadn't noticed that until this morning. That led me to try changing DNS servers. But as I said in an earlier post, it wouldn't make sense that wired connections could still access all sites when wireless couldn't if it was DNS related.

If it were ISP related, I can't imagine rebooting only the router would fix it temporarily as was the case for me.

Only other variable that's different today is the wife is at work with her Android phone. If it crashes again once she's home, then there may be credence to this android theory (even though there's like 5 other android devices connected right now). I confirmed she is on August security patch, not December, though.

All I know is approaching 8 hours uptime when I was having to reboot every 10 to 20 minutes before changing DNS servers.

Hello all, I am having the same issues as well.. WRT3200ACM has been a nightmare for the past 1-2 weeks. Have tried everything the support techs have suggested and nothing solves this problem.. Have been using my old netgear router the past few days and it been flawless, but would really love to be able to use the expensive linksys that is now just sitting here looking pretty! Lol. Oh also my buddy that I work with also has same model and is deal I g with the same exact thing as well.

I have configured my 2.4ghz band to use only MAC whitelisting, and disabled security.  If the issue with my android device is indeed due to problems with KRACK security fixes, this should isolate that.  I will post an update in a few hours with the verdict.

Administrator

bin01123 wrote:

I just filled out the survey. I have the WRT3200ACM and I rolled the firmware back using the instructions listed here. My router is still having issues and I think its gotten worse as my devices lose connection quicker now.

Hi Bin,

When you say more frequently how quick is it happening on average? 

We have setup another test bed here and I have 42 devices connected to it streaming everything we can and it has been up for a few hours, so am trying to figure out how fast people are seeing things degrade.

Lucas,

My Thermostat disconnected within 20 mintues of me doing the firmware rollback procedure. I also noticed at that time, my iPhone was still connected but lost internet.

I have seen it happen as quickly as 5 minutes. It seems to vary though. On average I usually have 7 or so wifi devices connected at a time.

in my case is happenning every 5 minutes in my wife laptop and every 2 hours in my laptop... both laptops are same model and brand... they are old and use 2.4Gh band

my roku  is buffering every 20 minutes, and every 2 hours loose the connection to wifi, this never happened before.

my amazon echo is saying that cant connect to 5ghz band but has been in that network for more than 6 months.

my android phone drop the wifi 1 or 2 times per day.

after i install lede last night is more stable with navegation but is still happening. and now alexa can use the 5ghz band (this happened with and all samsung smart tv too)