Accepted Solution

WRT54G2 V1 Router problem (unable to get internet)

Hey, got this router from a friend. I've seen it work, however when I plug it in or try to access internet wirelessly I can connect, but get not internet. I had the same problem with a different wired router.

It's a new modem, MT130u Huawei. I can connect if I just plug in straight from the modem to the laptop, but cant through either router.

I updated firmware on the lynksis router, and have dynamic ip to set up. I tried a hard reset on the router and that didn't work.

I can't get any support from my ISP, or from Huawei sadly...

Any thoughts?

Re: WRT54G2 V1 Router problem (unable to get internet)

I tried matching the MAC address after someone suggested it, still doesn't work.

chriswinsor wrote:

Hey, got this router from a friend. I've seen it work, however when I plug it in or try to access internet wirelessly I can connect, but get not internet. I had the same problem with a different wired router.

It's a new modem, MT130u Huawei. I can connect if I just plug in straight from the modem to the laptop, but cant through either router.

I updated firmware on the lynksis router, and have dynamic ip to set up. I tried a hard reset on the router and that didn't work.

I can't get any support from my ISP, or from Huawei sadly...

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

The settings on the router should depend on the type of ISP (Internet Service Provider)  you have.

If it is cable, follow the link below using the computer that can go online through the modem:

Setting up a Linksys router with Cable Internet service 

If it is DSL:

Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection

If you set of numbers from ISP, like the IP address:

Setting up a router with a Static IP account

I did all that already and it didn't work.

I connected to my router, had a connection, but no internet. Repair would find no problems. It would even send and recieve a few packets, but no internet.

It is possible that you have a bad internet port. Try using another cord. Make sure the cord from the modem is properly connected. Update the router's firmware also. Do a reset again.

Expert

Try unplugging your modem from the electrical outlet for 30 minutes. And then try. Or leave your modem unplugged from electrical outlet overnight and try the next morning.

I've done all the basic things guys. A million resets, its not the cords, I get internet through the modem directly but it won't work through any router. I can connect to the routers but receive no internet access through them. Windows troubleshoot gives me nothing.
Expert

Kike I said earlier, I have the latest firmware installed and dhcp set up and still same problem.
Expert

Did your friend have DD-WRT on the router?  If he did, you'll probably need to do a 30-30-30 reset on it.  You can search the board for 30-30-30 reset instructions. 

As a last resort, you could try installing DD-WRT on the WRT54G2v1, but it will void your warranty (if it's still under warranty).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2